The truck I sold to a dealership turned out to be STOLEN..!?

GTRogers

THat makes me feel a little rbetter, The person who bought the truck from the Dealer ship called me last night accusing me of KNOWING it was stolen and still selling it. Theyre ****ing idiots. Pissed me off so bad.

She said the VIN that is on the computer registered a truck that was in California and is at a dealership right now and is RED.

She also said the VIN plate on the dash is FAKE and doesnt match the one on the frame or the VMI. Im so confused.

Sounds like the dealers fault and someone is trying to pull a fast one. Any dealership that takes in a car does the vin check etc. This kind of problem doesnt just show up after you sell something. It would have sown up stolen before the dealer agree to buy it.

The deal is done fair and square with no issues at time of sale. Legally you as a buyer only have like 48 to 72 hours to return a vehicle after it has been sold, Im sure the same rules apply for the dealer. Thats what they have insurance for. If it was indeed stolen, you wouldnt have heard from the dealer, you would have been talking to the police, not the dealer. I say dont answer the dealers calls anymore, wait for the cops to talk to you as they will and would have by now if it was a real problem.

The FTC passed a personal privacy act in 1994, In which this sould apply... But their is a [opt out form] you can sign so they can give out personal info to prospective buyers...

Did you sign this form ? and if you did you would have a copy... Then they can give your info out... Dealers are sneaky they give you a bunch of stuff to sign and sneak things like this in with out you noticing because most people dont read what they sign... I would talk to a lawyer to see what my right are then report them to the FTC as they did give out your info !!!

Sorry this happened it's got to suck, But hang in there it will all work out... As far as the stolen part is concerned, Answer to Law enforcement, and or thru a lawyer and dont talk to the dealership unless prompted by your lawyer...

Hope this helps !!!

I think its as easy as a new computer like CHP said. However if it were me, I wouln't mess around and go hire your lawyer immediately. That should be number 1 because you technically might have had possesion of stolen material which makes you guilty. Everyone can debate wether it was a mistake, but the law says one thing and mistakes usually don't get by the law if your caught. Go lawyer up but do not allow anyone to know you will be countersuing besides your lawyer.

How did the new owner get your number? I smell a counter-suit for sharing your information...

^^^Ditto.

Yeah dont worry, its a swapped out PCM. Tell em that. Just went thru this myself. They will need to take the truck to a GM dealer and have them reflash a whole new updated stock tune with correct VIN. Truck may run like shit or not start haha, so theyll be screwed cuz any "tuning" that has been done for any mods will be gone and back to stock.

Edited by Bad Ass Silvy (see edit history)

So what you're saying is you haven't spoken to the guy/dealership IN PERSON to look at these issues yourself? You're being accused of things and they have the "evidence", go view it yourself. They're probably full of crap. Yes the ECM can be swapped out, like said here before, happens all the time. Buy a spare, ship it for a mail order tune, there it is! I'd be doing some investigating myself. I want to see proof!!

Wow!!! how dumb can you be, as stated above the ECM was replaced at some point in time and them someone performed the 30 min. PASSKEY II re-learn which does not require you to update the VIN in the ECM, lol so stupid!

• Admin

The guys got my number off of my ad on the forum. Cause the mods dont delete the ads when theyre sold. Guess I should have taken it down. But I dont really care. I am not gonna be held liable.

Report the ad, and mods will at least edit out your personal info