2001 Silverado RCSB 5.3l build project.

Silverado2469

Ok guys. So I've had a few posts elsewhere asking questions and getting a plethora of information. And now I'm putting together my build thread. I'm a picture whore when it comes to my truck, so there will be plenty of pictures. To start off I'd like to thank everyone for there help so far, and apologize for my newbness. This is my first build, and so far it's coming out great.

So I bought the truck 2 years ago, it started its new life with 124k miles, and was a bone stock Z71.

5ymazymu.jpg

ytahu6am.jpg

When I first bought it. I wanted to do some off reading, I had buddies into that so I thought I'd buy a 4x4 and join them. And since I'm a Chevy fan till the day I die. I bought a Silverado. Well about 15 months after I bought it. And put bilstien 5100 series shocks, 2" lift keys, Mickey Thompson tires, and general grabber 285/75/16 tires on it. 2800$ later.

zyhuty3a.jpg

My buddy sold his jeep, and my other buddy got out of off roading. So since I love going fast, and wanted to build a race car. But knew I couldn't afford that kind of build. I thought, ok ill buy an SS well when I realized no clean SS was under 18+k near me. And my truck only worth 8k and I owed 4300. I decided to make a replica SS. Or at least that's my goal. Ill make my own mods to fit me as I go but that's my general goal, so I bought some headers, and exhaust.

paba7ary.jpg

e6yqy9ur.jpg

ude4ebun.jpg

then a 3/5 lowering kit, and a set of eagle alloy rims.

2avy9abu.jpg

zy6u8e4a.jpg

I'm pretty close to having that done, just need to c-notch and get aligned. Looks amazing, I like it much more than when it was lifted.

Next is going to be the engine. Can't be an SS unless it spanks any ford that comes up to it right? So a STS rear mount turbo kit is on it's way home. Got a master power t70 turbo, tial wastegate, tial BOV, all piping etc. it's used with about 10k on it. When that gets here. Ill have to save up a couple hundred and buy a fuel pump, and a wideband and ill be doing the install. Ill be adding more later but I gotta go finish my install. So I can get to the bank.

Well as of now looks like the owner of the turbo kit doesn't wanna sell it. I've been trying to get up close pics, or even a video of the stuff so I can see it before buying. And I can't get him to send pics, which is making me nervous that he doesn't have it and gonna try to take my money, so not sure what ima do yet, I'm gonna keep looking for another rear mount, or I may buy a used 5.3. And do a mild build on it. And drop it in. If I can find a 6.0 cheap enough I will do that instead.

Ok so I'm going to be going by my local pick your part. Picking up a use lq4. Or lq9. Which ever I can find, my pick your part sells engines complete for 300+ tax. But not Guaranteed to have a 6.0. So I'm just hoping one of them does. It's a popular motor so hopefully they do. We shall see. After I pick the motor up. Ill rebuild it. Add a cam, possibly heads, ill raise compression to around 11:1. And make 400 rwhp no prob. Ill then upgrade the trans. And then upgrade the motor again.

Edited by Silverado2469 (see edit history)

Ok just a little update. Gonna be searching for a new motor. A running 5.3l or 6.0. Whichever I can find first and cheaper. If I buy the 6.0. Going to put a cam in it. Something like a comp 222/224 .56x/.57x headers, exhaust, CAI, and dyno tune. And whatever that puts me at. (Close 375-400 I'm assuming) if I get the 5.3l ill be doing a head and cam package. (Same cam most likely.) stage 2.5 prc heads. And I'll dyno into the 400's. I've seen it done. I'd prefer a 6.0. But so far 5.3l. Are 200-500 complete. 6.0 are into the 1100++ range. So we will see hopefully I can find a running 6.0 out of a junkyard. And be good to go. For like $600. After spending 870.00 on a new set of narrower tires to fit my lowering kit. That took money away from my engine build. So I gotta work with what I have. And my budget decreased. Quite a bit. I'm hoping to find a newer 5.3 (flat top pistons) and ill get the 2.5 243 heads. So when I buy a 6.0. I can use those heads on it. If I go the 5.3l route.