Custom Plexiglass Volant intake cover

MID12sSSS

Dam looks stick i always wanted to do something like that

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looks like your cover is still in decent shape, according to your sig. My cover was NASTY! All scratched up. I couldn't have that with all the engine appearance mods I was installing. I have a few extra "SS" logos in arrival blue. I could have a few more made in different colors to include in the sale if someone were to want their cover to look like mine. Of course the black might need a white outline or something to make it easier to see. The stickers were pretty spendy though. I had the "SS" sticker made, and a back window sticker made, and it was $50! They did an awesome job though, and gave me a few extras.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure ill end up re-doing mine with an updated design. I wanna clear coat it and try out some things here and there. So I will atleast keep another sticker for myself so I can put one on my finished product.

any pics of your door sills? sounds pretty cool. EL tape is awesome stuff is used right for sure

Haha yeah! Makes you stay up-to-date on your filter cleanings. Don't wanna have an ugly, dirty filter under your nice plexiglass cover. I really think a pre-filter will really make it look that much nicer. I am going to try to clear coat the plexiglass and then wet sand it. See if that helps protect it from scratches. (Got that idea from a buddy of mine). ;)

that will actually work great just make sure to use the proper plastic adhesion promoter, we like Bulldog. and i know this sounds like the last thing youd wanna do but, lightly LIGHTLY scuff it first, itll come out better that way and with the promoter will never chip or come off

Hell we buy from you, those of us who want the custom shit we pay the extra you ship to John. John does what we need. And ships flat rate to us

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Custom like what? Stickers? I'm down if he's down.

sounds all good to me. i can prob find someone to etch here if theres no one around you... i could also do this, i was thinking and its prob what im gunna do for my JGP:

- either use a decal like you got on there now, or mask by hand a design, logo or whatever youd want on the cover... stick it on a bare cover thats been lightly scuffed and prepped for paint already. then i could use my translucent light paint formula and spray the cover (anywhere from 85% visible light transfer / VLT to black looking...), in my case id do it medium, like smokey... then remove the decal/masking after final coat of translucent formula and clear the whole thing. this would leave the design/logo crystal clear. then id put 2-3 tiny single chip SMD LEDs in the bottom of the airbox hidden. this way it would have a faint glow through the whole cover, but mainly just shine through the design/logo. i think i may like this idea better than my first one lol... hmm...

Haha jeeze! Sounds legit! Ill have to make a few prototype plexiglass covers and get them shipped out to you, so you have a few to play around with and figure out a final design, post some pics, and have everyone form a single file line for a badass air box cover.

I don't think there is anyone around here that can frost or etch logos. So ill get some sent out to you and see what we can come up with. So you were gonna have the cover painted, except for the etched logo, which will light up with your choice color of LEDs? Also, if you paint the bottom of the cover, then clear coat the top, the color will be visible through the plexiglass, but won't be on the topside where it is susceptible to scratches, if that makes sense.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Haha jeeze! Sounds legit! Ill have to make a few prototype plexiglass covers and get them shipped out to you, so you have a few to play around with and figure out a final design, post some pics, and have everyone form a single file line for a badass air box cover.

sounds good! i cant wait, these are gunna be cool :cool: dunno if we will have a line or anything, but hey im sure theyll sell. speaking of that... i am making another batch of 100mm Radix intakes next week, maybe i can do a package deal for Volant users who buy the KP 100mm Radix intake at a discount for both items :thumbs:

Sounds good to me. Send me a completed lid and some SMD's. I'll most likely wire into my parking lights being that I don't have an under hood light

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

you could always do that, i was thinking either just have them on +12V accessory power (always on with truck- they last like 100,000 hours anyways lol) and then have a micro-switch mounted somewhere of choice to override it to be on whenever switched on. IMO most people who wanna see under my hood the trucks usually running so itd already be on, and then for shows and such you could just flip the micro-switch. i use those little alarm remote start safety switches, they are like 1mm IF that, fit anywhere and arent noticeable

I don't think there is anyone around here that can frost or etch logos. So ill get some sent out to you and see what we can come up with. So you were gonna have the cover painted, except for the etched logo, which will light up with your choice color of LEDs? Also, if you paint the bottom of the cover, then clear coat the top, the color will be visible through the plexiglass, but won't be on the topside where it is susceptible to scratches, if that makes sense.

ok no sweat, i think you all might like my second idea better after you see it anyways... i have a vivid photographic memory so i can visualize these things to create them :D id let you see what it looks like in my mind, but if you accidentally bumped into anything else while up in my head looking around you may be scarred for life :lol:

yes you could paint the bottom, but IMO the side i clear will be glossy-er. i use a real pricey clear coat and it looks "wet" after its done. usually theres no debris, unevenness, or noticable flaws in my small and custom paint parts that they dont need to be sanded/buffed, so they look even deeper and shinier than usual :driving: