tailgate plastic cover

i was at work, went to open my tailgate but itpoped off lol. i had noticed that it has been getting lost over the past 4 months but didnt think much f it.

what kind of adhesive should be used to re-attach it?. im guessing just 3M or is there a more all weather solution?.

what are the holes for?. there are 4 of them on the top of the tailgate?. snap in cover or something?

also there is ALOT of scratches in the paint under the plastic cover. is there a way to prevent them once i re-attach the cover? just curious.

post-21019-0-48507500-1365708332_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-10821400-1365708343_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-85943600-1365708352_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-52232300-1365708360_thumb.jpg

post-21019-0-68078900-1365708372_thumb.jpg

The four holes are there because it is a standard silverado tail gate. They all have it for other spoilers that came with these trucks. 3M tape is all that is there. But dont get the white, get the grey. To my knowledge, there is nothing you can do for the paint. Its part of it.

Maybe someone was trying to slowly "steal" yours & scratched it up???

Clean the old tape all off & prep the painted tailgate surface with somw rubbing alcohol. Then peel back & and attached the spoiler back on with new 3M double sided tape. Take a soft towel & go back along the edges of your reapplied spoiler, push down as you move across the surface.

Good luck.

thanks guys.. i do notice the center of the plastic piece extends slightnly from the rest and the LEER hard cover and in turn the rubber on the insude edge of the cover rubs on the plastic piece and it gets all rubber and shit all over it.. ( goo-gone fixes that) im thinking about just removing those 6-8 inches of the rubber to prevent this contact.

it is only the rubber and not the actual fiberglass cover. thoughts?

• 1 month later...