Plasti Dip you complete car. stuff is getting crazy.

shawnss

To be fair, not everyone can afford a real paint job. PlastiDip is simply an affordable substitute. Is the quality the same? Obviously not, no one is debating or denying that a good quality paint job will always look better and last longer than a PlastiDip job. However, the simple fact is, not many people can afford to spend several thousand (depending on the amount/colors of paint etc) on a real paint job when they can test out new colors frequently with PD for fractions of the cost.

To me the greatest draw of PD is the ability to give something a decent coat to see how colors look and then peel it off and change the color at will. And it's relatively inexpensive. If you get your wheels powder coated for 450-500$ and you hate the color.... Well you're out of luck.

It also makes a great protective coating for the winter if you live in shitty areas with salt covered roads 90% of the winter it will eat your wheels up fast :( I know first hand how that goes, and then you're stuck with either spending 2k on new wheels or getting them re-chromed/powder coated etc

All in all, PlastiDip is a really cool product for WHAT IT IS. And what it is is an inexpensive but nifty product that lets you do a lot that "real" paint won't. Im sure most of us would never grab a can of spray paint and spray their emblems, wheels, ducts, crossbow, rifles, house windows, garage doors, you-name-it just to see how the color looks or to make random fun graffiti. PlastiDip lets you do that. If you like it, sure then you can get the real deal IF you can afford it. If not then you can make do until you can. And if you hate it? Peel that crap off :)

Just my two cents.

the problem is people can afford it they just choose not to. im sure the same person buying this stuff is the same person that is buying 2-3 energy drinks a day , buying the latest $60 video game that came out or a pack of smokes or beer every other night ... ect. so im not buying the whole "cant afford it thing" specially driving a truck like this. if your paying 400-500 bucks to get your rims powder coating your getting bent over, i paid 50 a wheel and had them back the next day.i dont know about you but when i want something i save for it , im not rich or even close to it but i have nice things.

now i understand the whole trial an error thing , but to do your whole paint job in this stuff is just ricer to me and very unclassy and i think thats what bugs me the most about it even being mentioned on this site.

Edited by shadowsniper3006
Language in quote (see edit history)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys this is ridiculous. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to share it, but share it and then back down or support it with facts only. And if you support it with facts do so in a way that does offend other member and a mod doesn’t have to edit 4 pages of comments on his lunch break. We can’t continue with the language, like it or not it’s the sites rules. And the same for insulting members. Both guys involved need to back off and respect the others opinion. I don’t know why I’m leaving this thread open, but I will unless it continues to go south. Keep it clean and respectful.

Brad

If anyone has any concerns with other members or any thread/post, as always, feel free to contact myself or any of the mod team.

Guys this is ridiculous. Everyone has an opinion and everyone is entitled to share it, but share it and then back down or support it with facts only. And if you support it with facts do so in a way that does offend other member and a mod doesn’t have to edit 4 pages of comments on his lunch break. We can’t continue with the language, like it or not it’s the sites rules. And the same for insulting members. Both guys involved need to back off and respect the others opinion. I don’t know why I’m leaving this thread open, but I will unless it continues to go south. Keep it clean and respectful.

Brad

If anyone has any concerns with other members or any thread/post, as always, feel free to contact myself or any of the mod team.

Agreed. Be nice and play nice... It's a bother that mods have to babysit threads instead of enjoying the site. If you know that someone doesn't like something, don't make indirect comments towards them.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

I have plasti-crap on my bowtie right now. It has not had any issues for quite some time. Wanted to see what it looked like and now I am just to lazy to take it off and paint it right...

I would only use it to see what something looks like. That's about all its good for. A whole car painted in it, sure, have at it. Your car!

Sent from Rezound using Tapatalk 2

i dont care what people use on there vehicles even though i am not a fan of the stuff at all. just had a girl at work buy a brand new car and dip the wheels. very textured. i understand the dipping chrome in winter. i wouldt but i also have access to a heated washbay everyday in the winter with hot water and wash my car pretty much everyday even in blizzards. my only question is if you are doing it to a ss on the wheels, ducts, emblems to "see how it looks", why dont you look around site? there are a TON of pics with every color ss with all the above done in dip, paint, and powder coat. thats why the pics are there. i understand no 2 trucks are the same but really, hoods/grills/lowering kits/roll pans/ really there similar enough to get a good idea of "how it looks". squint your eyes and step back a bit and you would have a good idea of the look you would get. people buy wheels and diff tires all the time without "seeing how they look first" on THE exact vehicle they will be mounted. if this offended anyone im sorry. i didt mean it too. just my thoughts cause i dont think ive ever posted on a plasti dip thread before. i try to not say anything at all if not nice but i wanted to offer my opinion today as nice as possible.

i dont care what people use on there vehicles even though i am not a fan of the stuff at all. just had a girl at work buy a brand new car and dip the wheels. very textured. i understand the dipping chrome in winter. i wouldt but i also have access to a heated washbay everyday in the winter with hot water and wash my car pretty much everyday even in blizzards. my only question is if you are doing it to a ss on the wheels, ducts, emblems to "see how it looks", why dont you look around site? there are a TON of pics with every color ss with all the above done in dip, paint, and powder coat. thats why the pics are there. i understand no 2 trucks are the same but really, hoods/grills/lowering kits/roll pans/ really there similar enough to get a good idea of "how it looks". squint your eyes and step back a bit and you would have a good idea of the look you would get. people buy wheels and diff tires all the time without "seeing how they look first" on THE exact vehicle they will be mounted. if this offended anyone im sorry. i didt mean it too. just my thoughts cause i dont think ive ever posted on a plasti dip thread before. i try to not say anything at all if not nice but i wanted to offer my opinion today as nice as possible.

Good point on the pics but I bet 98% of us don't have hot wash bays, but I'm thinking about doing my garbage boss rims because there only used in winter

the ability to wash my DD chromes all winter is just a perk of the job. i 110% understand why some would coat for winter cause they dont have the luxury to wash in winter alot. thats the point i was making there. protection i guess i could understand

I call BS on the whole "winter protection" bit. Iv had chrome wheels on all of my DD's since high school and never once have I had to put a coating like plasti crap on to protect them even in the midwest winters. Not one issue with any of them

Its called not being lazy in my opinion

I call BS on the whole "winter protection" bit. Iv had chrome wheels on all of my DD's since high school and never once have I had to put a coating like plasti crap on to protect them even in the midwest winters. Not one issue with any of them

:withstupid:

i also have had alot of chrome and aluminum wheels for years and years and never had any problem with them. working at a dealer for 10 years i have seen a fair share of what salt will do to wheels. i also seen alot that were taking care of very well and still pitt and peel. would "I" ever use it to "protect", no cause i love the look of my chrome DD wheels, especially clean in the winter. should lazy people, maybe but i cant see using it and completely walking away and not caring for them for months at a time and not getting to see the true wheel finish all winter would drive me crazy. theres no product in can that will then peel off after winter and every wheel be perfect. they will still have issues somewhere especially aluminum, that salt water will still seep in the bead and be on the lip and backside, lug nut holes ect ect ect. and really, a red cadillac with black wheels of any kind, ill pass hahaha

I'm not defending anybody here. but I'm Montana they do not use salt. they use a chemical spray the melts hard packed ice. It will eat your chrome super fast. It snowed this past monday morning and they sprayed this crap on the road. with it sitting on my truck 10 hours while I was at work it started to mess with the chrome on my front bumper and grill shell. this crap acts fast. so if you don't wash it off for over a day or so it will start to eat the chrome. I which they would quite using it. you can't have anything nice or chrome on your vehicle without it getting messed up over the winter here.