New build, already broke down

Well as many of you know I just built my truck. I picked it up tonight and barely made it home. Looks like she's going to be parked for a while. Gosh darn awd! I sunk my money into the engine and can't afford to fix this now. Cv axles took a shit. See pics below. In a nut shell that should say enough. I'm not in the story speaking mood.

post-20893-0-13951800-1366170788_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-69837400-1366170797_thumb.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I didn't get on her but she definitely picked up way easier than before. I like to put miles and break in engine parts before I really test them out. Damn cvs chose the wrong time to take a dump. I barely made it home too. And not just one but both of them! Is this a hard and expensive fix?

damn dude thats insane to have both of them crap out at the same time. cv axles arent bad at all, they arent too expensive. probably pick up both for around 160 if you buy at a parts store. if your source them online id try rockauto

I forgot to mention. When I was on the home stretch , when I would take off from a stop there was an extreme whinning noise and would be gone about 10-15 mph into. This noise should still be from the cv axles right? Please don't tell me that's a different noise and problem I have to worry about.

On my 08' lifted sierra, I kept going thru cv axles like crazy!! Every time I would go down to napa or orielly's and get me a new one. Well come to find out...the ones you buy from part stores are about an inch shorter than the GM cv axles. So on my lifted truck the angle made it shorter already then you take away another inch in a shorter cv axle and thats the reason i kept breaking them..I don't know how much difference the price in the 03 to 08 cv axles, but from napa mine were about 100 and the GM were like 400 but worth the money since they aren't an inch too short...hope that helps. Wish I would have known before I bought like 4 sets of the napa/oriellys brand!

Ok, is there by any chance a how to pictorial? I'm sure my old man knows how to do it but it would be nice if I could see exactly what I'm doing so I can knock out one side while he does the other.

Don't need one it's very very simple.

1. jack up truck

2. wheels off

3. pop off dust cap cover to cv axle nut

4. remove axle nut (36 mm I think?) easiest with an impact otherwise you need to jimmy a prybar between the lugs or something and the ground to prevent it from spinning

5. unbolt tie rod and remove from spindle, turn spindle all the way to the left or right, whatever gives more clearance for the cv axle

6. remove 6 bolts holding the CV axle shaft to the differential

7. remove cv axle

reverse steps to install it.

theres OEM remans and such on rock auto so the length is fine. The lifted trucks will want longer cvs i am pretty sure that lowered trucks like ours like the shorter ones, the ones on rock auto only vary by like 1/4 inch or an 1/8th inch so it's fairly neglible. Mine cost 67 bucks and has lasted almost a year now with not a hint of an issue.

Edited by ThatTallCanadian (see edit history)