New build, already broke down

I'm not sure if they snapped but something is definitely separated cause there was grease splurged all over my wheels, fenders, doors, and all the control arms and all the other stuff behind the wheel. On Both sides. I'm dropped 3/4. Lca up front. Shackles and hangers out back.

That doesnt mean something is broken, if the boots crack they sling grease all over, the grease lubes your bearings in the cv shaft.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Na. I doubt anything snapped. Boots pop off or tear and sling grease. No big deal. Just get it taken care of. Like said above, take the tie rod off the knuckle, take off the axle nut, MIGHT need to take off upper ball joint nut to provide enough clearance to pull axle out of back of knuckle. Then a prybar behind the axle, between the axle and diff, and give it a pop. Axle should come right out of the diff. Then pop the new one in with some force and put it back together. A brass punch and hammer will work to take the axle out too.

Yeah, but im not too certain on how much affect a suspension drop has on CV boots... I mean sure, a suspension drop changes the angle and torque points at the CV joint, and i guess over time COULD cause some wear, but not sure if its going to wear any more/less compared to CV joints on a truck at stock ride height. And i definitely dont see it having any affect of the boots themselves, which in CRUZ's situatiion, thats all it was. The boots just popped off. I wouldnt go re-adjusting your ride higher just to save your CV axles from a hunch that lowered suspension is the culprit for premature wear. Id run it as is and if you're not having any axle issues, then dont sweat it. And if you do have issues, just throw new axles in and see how they do. If you're going through a set every couple weeks, then id do some investigating on why that is.

Yes thx guys. If nothing is broken and the boots just seperated and slung grease, would that still cause the whinning noise? Now my time is precious cause I'm in uncle SAMs hands until Sunday night.

I dont kmow about whining but when you drive and turn the wheel hard you might hear a popping noise like a rapid fire cap gun but thats only if the boot was leaking for a long time and dirt got omto the bearings.

The axles are easy to replace but if you catch the leak in time you should be able to buy a new boot and grease for the axle shaft, clean the bearings, pack with grease and pop the new boot on.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Well I got home not so late today and crawled under there to take a closer look. My dad said he looked at it and that they were busted. I took closer pics for you guys. My dad is on the cheap side and said there is a place locally that will rebuild them. I'm more than positive I'm going to buy new ones from the dealer or the parts store. Just waiting for the right time to knock this out now.

post-20893-0-15938900-1366243301_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-06297000-1366243313_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-64822400-1366243326_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-48530500-1366243343_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-84107900-1366243355_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-42827500-1366243367_thumb.jpg

post-20893-0-31650300-1366243381_thumb.jpg

Haha you'll pay less in parts buying new ones than you will in labor to get them rebuilt. Get new ones... Thats like rebuilding an alternator when yours goes out. You just dont do it anymore. Just replace it.

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Should I change the wheel hubs while I'm at it? Someone recommended that. Also, does this drop require a spacer between the inner cv flange and the front axle? Someone also told me to check on that? I made a few calls and O reileys has brand new axles for around $60 each lifetw warranty and the dealer has them for around $360 each!!!!

Should I change the wheel hubs while I'm at it? Someone recommended that. Also, does this drop require a spacer between the inner cv flange and the front axle? Someone also told me to check on that? I made a few calls and O reileys has brand new axles for around $60 each lifetw warranty and the dealer has them for around $360 each!!!!

Wow! Big difference right there.