looking at stall converters

I bought a PI Vigilante about 2months ago. I love it! Its got a 2year warranty and you get one free re-stall if you ever chose to change it... BUT, mine was $1079 + freight. So they are a bit more expensive than the other guys, but its what Zippy swears by, so i went ahead and ordered one up. Their customer support is awesome as well.

Mines a 10.5" 2800 Triple disc. Seems to be just what i needed. Its real aggressive under heavy throttle and i dont have any issues with it in town. And being a multi disc, i dont lose any ability to tow if i ever need to pull a boat or trailer. But like Brian said, the stall should be what YOU need for your build. Dont just get the same stall the other guy has because he's had good luck with it. Plus, me saying "i love it" is an opinion. You might get the same one and find its too aggressive or not enough. I really like this thread :thumbs: Lots of good info here. Dont see too many informative threads on here much anymore.

Thumbs up to Brian for all the great advice/info

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

I bought a PI Vigilante about 2months ago. I love it! Its got a 2year warranty and you get one free re-stall if you ever chose to change it... BUT, mine was $1079 + freight. So they are a bit more expensive than the other guys, but its what Zippy swears by, so i went ahead and ordered one up. Their customer support is awesome as well.

Mines a 10.5" 2800 Triple disc. Seems to be just what i needed. Its real aggressive under heavy throttle and i dont have any issues with it in town. And being a multi disc, i dont lose any ability to tow if i ever need to pull a boat or trailer. But like Brian said, the stall should be what YOU need for your build. Dont just get the same stall the other guy has because he's had good luck with it. Plus, me saying "i love it" is an opinion. You might get the same one and find its too aggressive or not enough. I really like this thread :thumbs: Lots of good info here. Dont see too many informative threads on here much anymore.

Thumbs up to Brian for all the great advice/info

ya i dont want to jump on the bandwagon of one brand over the other thats y im asking so many ?? i only have time and $$ to do it right the first time... and i appericate all the great info brian and brad have provided ive learned alot more than i knew about TC's .... let the search countiune

I had the PATC MR-2L in my truck and loved it. I didnt read all 6 pages so forgive me if someone already said this but the PATC converter in your first post wont work for your truck, its for EARLY style 60e's. You would need to go to the 5LX or the MR-2L for a later model 60e. Im also currently running another PATC converter with my 80e and have nothing but good things to say about this one as well.

Edited by zachm89 (see edit history)

I had the PATC MR-2L in my truck and loved it. I didnt read all 6 pages so forgive me if someone already said this but the PATC converter in your first post wont work for your truck, its for EARLY style 60e's. You would need to go to the 5LX or the MR-2L for a later model 60e. Im also currently running another PATC converter with my 80e and have nothing but good things to say about this one as well.

no nobody has said anything about PATC yet Which I'm kinda interested in and surprised nobody else runs em I thought they were pretty popuar Edited by BLNAWAY (see edit history)

just north of milwaukee. We're lucky enough to have multiple RWD dyno's in the area, but we also have 2 AWD dynos large enough for our trucks as well.

ah very nice whats it cost to dyno?

I think its 85 for three pulls with a wideband hooked up. Different rate if your tuning though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

no nobody has said anything about PATC yet Which I'm kinda interested in and surprised nobody else runs em I thought they were pretty popuar

Ordered lots of parts from PATC for my 65E. They have excellent customer service. If you do decide to order something from them, talk to Nathan Price. He is the man. Has a strong southern accent, he really knows his stuff. Gave me a great deal too when i told him John from Kelley Performance recommended that i deal with him. Im sure their converters are great. The vigilante is the first converter ive owned, so i cant really help out with preference between models/brands/and even stall speeds, but i can say i love the one i got.

so im browsing PI vigilante converters but cant seem to find a price on em do they only tell you $$ when you call and order? also after install of converter do you need to re-tune for the higher stall?

No, you don't have to retune. You may experience some low speed lockup issues, where the converter locks/unlocks a lot. You Might* hit the rev limiter on a WOT run also....it's unlikely with a low stall converter though. You can absolutely throw your converter in and drive it without a tune, it will still be plenty fun!

No, you don't have to retune. You may experience some low speed lockup issues, where the converter locks/unlocks a lot. You Might* hit the rev limiter on a WOT run also....it's unlikely with a low stall converter though. You can absolutely throw your converter in and drive it without a tune, it will still be plenty fun!

although you are correct, but what is the point?

Some people don't want to retune their truck 100 times. Wait for big mods to retune, save money. I do my on tuning so Idc.

part of it in my opinion. also what is the point in modding if you cant get the most of what you just spent your money on. I sure a hell dont want to spend my money on something and look back and go "well its not bad but could be better"

Ya my retunes are free other than shipping from IA to FL... Wouldnt the converter locking and unlock excessively cause high trans temp? So it's is possible to get by with installing converter and not retuning right away but to reach max benefit it IS needed