sorry to be a pain but still need help badly!!!!!

So i posted a couple days ago about my 03 SSS randomly shutting off while driving on highway with cruise on. Well it has gotten waaaaay worse since! Now she will Buck and sputter and pop violently until stalling and will not start until it has sit for a few minutes. In which case it starts up as normal and can drive for a few miles before doing the same thing. The kicker is im not getting a check engine light!..... i started by cleaning MAF and TB so changed fuel filter..... that did nothing so i put a brand new alternator in and brand new MAF in.. still nothing.... checked for water in my gas.. of course no water. Fuel pressure seens fine also. I drive about 200 miles a day for work fron maine to Mass and this is the first of any issue ive had with her and ive run 52k in just over a year. I was thinking crankshaft or camshaft sensor but with no engine light or code that seems like a stretch.

Any other ideas? Really need to fix her today so i can get to work tomorrow but kinda burnt out with replacing parts that are not bad! ... thinking also maybe fuel pump is having bad spells but at the price for a new one i would like to rule out everything else first.... any and all ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks fellas

My first thought would be fuel pump. You said you checked fuel pressure? How did you check it? If you have a Fp gauge you can hook up to the schrader valve and run the gauge to you windshield, then duxttape it on. Then go make your truck die again. If you keep fuel pressure you probable have am electrical gremlin. But I would probably say fuel pump.

I checked it while it was having a fit in the garage and it didnt drop... i have to let it run in the garage for over a half hour till it acts up and not as long if i drive it but of course im hesitant on driving cause im afraid eventually she wont start even after sitting. I already had a hefty tow bill from devens mass to wells maine... 98mi!! .. im going to lose the little bit of hair i have left if it keeps up much longer! I did not check the MAP. How can i tell if thats bad? Run truck and unplug?

If it was the map sensor it would throw a code.

So when it is having its fits. And won't start. You still have full pressure at the fuel rail?

And you have checked spark on both banks when it is acting up?

Edited by Aksss (see edit history)

Bad grounds? My buddies Yukon was doing this last week...turned out to be frayed wires in PCM harness that were shorting each other out...fixed frayed wires and its back to normal.

I have looked over all grounds and wires that are exposed all is in excellent shape. The truck looks like it is only a few years old and garaged for winters. Everything is super clean. No rust and no corrosion any where. Im probably speaking to soon but just for the hell of it i put a can of sea foam in my gas and it has been running now for ovet an hour without a hiccup. But i certainly dont trust to drive it anywhere based on the seafoam

However i went to check the fuel pump relay and it was super hot to the touch. Isn't that a sign that the pump is getting weak?

I'm not great with electrical. But if the relay is hot. I would think it could be from either two things. Bad fuel pump relay, or a bad fuel pump with a high current draw. I would start with the 4 dollar relay and see if that changes things. Then look at the fuel pump.

I thought that would be a cause also but night before last i let it run in the garage for about a half hour and then took it for a ride and when it died i looked under it at the cats and if they were plugged they should of been glowing orange. And they were not

Looks like the fuel pump or cats. I know its hard to ask on average how much fuel is in the tank when you drive the truck. I just remember a lot of members stating that if they repeatedley ran their trucks with low amounts of gas, goodbye pump. Just a question though.

Like CHP said it could be the cats.

I never sent you pics of my truck :banghead: Check your cell!

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

To rule out cats, loosen the mid pipe at the manifolds.... But most times, clogged cats aren't that bad at idle. I guess you could just pull the front o2 sensors. I too had thought fuel pump, but it seems odd that it would just shut off suddenly. That fact alone made me think more along the lines of cam or crank sensor. Stupid question but your check engine light DOES come on when you first turn the key, right? I've seen ppl tell me no engine light but turns out the light is burned out. Just throwing that out there.

Yes the check engine light does come on with the key and was on till i had it cleared the other day and threw allthe fits it has not kikicked on. It doesn't just die suddenly anymore like it did at first. Now it cuts out and bucks sputters and mis fires before it dies. and when i try to start it she wont stay running unless it sits for a while and cools off... i bought new cam and crank sensors but reluctant to put them in cause where i didn't get codes i have a hard time thinking thats the problem