Stuck thermostat 160 degree

I need help i have a 2003 Sss and it has been tuned by weatley iam on my second slp 160 degree thermostat and cant understand why it will run fine for a month or two and then when the weather warms up the thermostat will stick on 160 for awhile and run like it is choked and then it will sputter and pop up to normal operating temp wich is 180-200 degrees and then run fine sometimes if i turn truck off and wait awhile it will start up and be fine. My mods have not changed since i got my tune i have a volant with power core magnaflow 160 stat truck just turned 65,000 miles anybody out there have any idea what i need to do texted wheatley and waitng for his reply?? Iam ready to buy dynatech supermaxx headers shift kit and servos and bolt up my brand new in the box corsa touring cat back but cant do anything till i figure out why i keep getting a check engine light it has been scanned and reset ses and it was a thermostat everytime please help a fellow member of the SS clan out????

Thanks Paint Chip

Yes it was scanned and evertime it throws a thermostat code iam gonna try to replace the coolant temp sensor but other than that i have no flipping idea what to try my mech is stumped and doesnt agree with the 160 stat and the tune but truck runs awesome with weatley tune for about two years now she does this to me everytime i get ready to throw money at her for go fast parts????

What DTCs are you experiencing? PO125/128? Could possibly be the ECT sensor.. Cant be for sure without knowing code, and then running through the diag chart.

Do you have electric fans?

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

Sounds like a bad temp sensor. When the engine is cold, the A/F ratio needs to be richer and then leans out once warmed up. If the temp sensor is giving a cold reading when the engine is warmed up, it will run too rich and could stutter/pop/lose power.

The intake temp sensor on some cars can effect the A/F ratio as well.

Thanks to everybody who put there 2 cents in on my question the damn coolant temp switch was bad put a new one in and the Ss runs perfect again it's so cool that this site is up I get a lot of ideas and help from you guys anybody ever need anything from me let me know now iam on to my next mods thanks to this site (dynatech super maxx headers high flow cats and shift kit with servos) thanks sssilverado.com!!!!!

Thanks to everybody who put there 2 cents in on my question the damn coolant temp switch was bad put a new one in and the Ss runs perfect again it's so cool that this site is up I get a lot of ideas and help from you guys anybody ever need anything from me let me know now iam on to my next mods thanks to this site (dynatech super maxx headers high flow cats and shift kit with servos) thanks sssilverado.com!!!!!

Cool you got her figured out Chip.

This site is a big help for ideas.