OBX w/Magnaflow hi-flo cats

f1ss

Im trying to get my mods that will be added this winter down pat, so when it comes to spending money I will not think twice. So here goes a question and dilemma.

I know OBX LT's have the benny of having hallow cats. The cost of these LT's are great for performance/bolt on and stainless stell, but I think it is widely known ARH has the best quality and the 3inch collectors.

My question is, has anyone added Magnaflow Hi-Flo Cats to the OBX headers? It almost seems backwards to do this, but I want to have cats. Just curious if anyone has added any type of cats to the OBX LT's.

Now here is the dilemma, I am using round numbers here. Say the OBX headers are $500-600. Add $330 (ish) per each cat and I am just about at the same price as ARH 1 3/4 LT's (I have not looked at the ARH LT's with cats, so I may be off on price a little).

As some of the members know, I cannot have a deep tone or loud exhaust due to migraine issues. This would be the reason for adding hi-flo cats to the OBX's and also keep the Corsa Sport as quiet as possible. My driving habits are like a 90 year old (except for few occasions where I hit WOT). So I know I can keep the Corsa quiet unless I want it screaming loud.

Anyone with OBX LT's please chime in on what you think of this situation. Also anyone with ARH LT's please chime in. If this header build winds up being the same price, it will be ARH. But then comes another question.....has anyone switched from OBX to ARH with a Corsa Sport? If so, what setup was more quiet? That is my goal. Obviously not having cats from the OBX's will make the truck louder, but just trying to seek input.

Thank you in advance and ask any questions if I have not been clear on this post. I have surgery at 1045am today and their cutting my face literally open like flaps to clean up carcinoma cells in my cheek and jawbone. Damn Insomnia is keeping me up so I thought I would write up this header question of OBX w/Hi-Flos (or just get the ARH's if price is the same).

I picked up my ARH with hi flow cats used off the board for like $800. They looked nearly brand new as well with only like 5K miles...ish.

They are awesome quality. I would keep an eye out for a good used set. Mine are the 1 7/8" too.

^^That is an amazing price and I wouldn't even consider OBX if I found a set of ARH under a grand. I know calling the factory can get me a cheaper price.....well I am out the door to be cut open, thank you for the info on price 1Bad2K.

I thought you had your truck lined up as a guinea pig for a header install? So why are you going with obx? Why even headers at all. I mean the point to headers are to get a vehicle to sound awesome a get the most outta it for performance. Also if you have migraines and drive like a 90 year old why do an exhaust?? Also you have been talking about doing the exhaust mod to your truck for years and have asked this questions a bunch of times, with no results. Why spend the money all it does it sit? But I guess if you have the money go for it!!

No offense Andrew,

But another thread trying to reinvent the wheel here. Going one or the other isnt going to be that much difference in these trucks. If you are unsure, go with ARH like Jeff mentioned above and be done

Thank you Brian and Jeff, the main point of this thread is to figure out which LT is more quiet overall. I know more flow/hp=more noise. Jeff I do not need a tranny, I did mention in a topic "maybe a built tranny is in my future" but mine is perfectley fine, just needs a service. And I already have a BBK setup chosen, I am just waiting to put this all together at the time I want.

The main reason for the thread was to figure which of the two setup's is more quiet. It would be much easier if the Corsa Touring model was still available then I would have my answer. But if I am overpaying on the OBX setup with cats then I mine as well go ARH like 1Bad2K stated he got a set of ARH's for $800.

Please no more personal or negative remarks like Jesse (NoMoreSS). Stay classy.

edit - I may sound like I am re-inventing the wheel, but I am just trying to find the setup that fits me to my personal taste and needs, and I thought this was the place to ask. OBX or Dynatech with Corsa sounds badass, makes these trucks sound like Nascar. And was hoping I could get some help from people with experience with LT's, preferably OBX or ARH but I already see 2 people who have no experience with LT's on this thread.

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)

Thank you Brian and Jeff, the main point of this thread is to figure out which LT is more quiet overall. I know more flow/hp=more noise. Jeff I do not need a tranny, I did mention in a topic "maybe a built tranny is in my future" but mine is perfectley fine, just needs a service. And I already have a BBK setup chosen, I am just waiting to put this all together at the time I want.

The main reason for the thread was to figure which of the two setup's is more quiet. It would be much easier if the Corsa Touring model was still available then I would have my answer. But if I am overpaying on the OBX setup with cats then I mine as well go ARH like 1Bad2K stated he got a set of ARH's for $800.

Please no more personal or negative remarks like Jesse (NoMoreSS). Stay classy.

edit - I may sound like I am re-inventing the wheel, but I am just trying to find the setup that fits me to my personal taste and needs, and I thought this was the place to ask. OBX or Dynatech with Corsa sounds badass, makes these trucks sound like Nascar. And was hoping I could get some help from people with experience with LT's, preferably OBX or ARH but I already see 2 people who have no experience with LT's on this thread.

funny you should say that. I picked up a corsa touring from the same guy the day I bought the headers for like $400. Looked brand new too. Keep an eye out bro. The deals are out there, just gotta catch em. Edited by 1BAD2K (see edit history)

Im trying to get my mods that will be added this winter down pat, so when it comes to spending money I will not think twice.

So get the ARH then.

Also if money ain't no thang and you want to be able to make it quiet get one of these

http://www.maperformance.com/varex-remote-controlled-sport-muffler-dual-in-w-dual-3-outlets-var-vmk31-300.html

here is a sound clip of one

funny you should say that. I picked up a corsa touring from the same guy the day I bought the headers for like $400. Looked brand new too. Keep an eye out bro. The deals are out there, just gotta catch em.

I will keep an eye out, I have a Corsa Sport muffler I can pick up (just the muffler). Thank you for the kind, helpful response sir! It is indeed very helpful :chevy:

So get the ARH then.

Also if money ain't no thang and you want to be able to make it quiet get one of these

http://www.maperformance.com/varex-remote-controlled-sport-muffler-dual-in-w-dual-3-outlets-var-vmk31-300.html

here is a sound clip of one

I will definitley check those out sir, again I really appreciate the helpful, kind responses. This may be extremely helpful for my specific needs :chevy:

Also keep in mind that those bolts have been in those manifolds for many years so chances are there are a few that will snap the heads off mine snapped four and from what I hear they were not fun to get out. but the Arh Lt without cats and 3" magna- flow round mufflers dumped before the rear wheel with 4" tips is ridiculous passing guys on loud Harley's shake there heads with disbelief like a train horn I love it but everyone else is horrified. definatly get cats and any muffler that's not straight through will do fine and kill the drone as well and send them out the back away from your ears that will help you don't have to buy a bolt on system a stainless steal custom bent system will do just fine and save big money.

That Varex muffler is kind of interesting and it looks like they have put a lot of thought and R&D into it.

I've read through a lot of their site, http://www.xforce.com.au/index.php , and it's a pretty good read.

They sell a wide variety of stainless pipe bends, (mandrel), and it looks like you could put together a pretty nice set up from their parts.

(Ain't seen no prices yet) :jester: And can't find a straight us statement that the Varex muffler is entirely stainless. (If it is not I see it as a recipe for a short lived novelty.)

Here is another u-tube vid.

Yes! Thank you Downeast Johny, this is extremely helpful. My mechanic that specializes in Audi and BMW made a custom muffler for an M3 that was exactly the same as this concept, open and closing so I could choose how the car would sound anytime. He is moving out of the country for good in September but I may show him this and see what he says. He may only work on Jetta, Audi and BMW but he has stated to me the SSS is his favorite domestic vehicle when I drove it over to him. I've never seen a foreign mechanic look into a domestic vehicle's engine for so long saying "that baby has some power and looks."

^^Interesting, I thought without it would be somewhat louder. This is great input that I was looking for (cats vs no cats), thank you. All I know is how they sound clogged on a Geo Prizm :laugh: I miss that car, I wonder how an LQ9 would do in that little sloth :crazy:

I will have to take a ride in a members truck to see how it is without cats, I'm mostly decided on ARH right now.