Stepper Motor dying?

So if my fuel gauge is stuck at the 2 position when turned off and goes to the 4-5 position when turned on (just filled up) save to assume my stepper motor's are going? Would it also explain why the tran temp only works sometimes?

Probably a good sign that its your stepper motors. Not that hard to replace either. I picked up all 6 from amazon for 12 bucks and refrenced the "how to" section on it. Just a total of a couple hours and my cluster was back in and working like new. If it turns out to be something other than the stepper motors then you are only out the 12 bucks, but you will have a known good cluster. On my truck it was the speedo and the fuel gauge that went out.

Probably a good sign that its your stepper motors. Not that hard to replace either. I picked up all 6 from amazon for 12 bucks and refrenced the "how to" section on it. Just a total of a couple hours and my cluster was back in and working like new. If it turns out to be something other than the stepper motors then you are only out the 12 bucks, but you will have a known good cluster. On my truck it was the speedo and the fuel gauge that went out.

Can you provide a link for what you just bought then? I don't mind doing the work myself. Read up a little more on the swap and seems easy enough.

Sorry after going back and looking it was $16 on my old envoice but now they are selling them for $19. but the link is here

edit: also to replace all of them you will need 7, not 6 as mentioned above.

Edited by NolletSSS (see edit history)

Thanks for the recommendations guys! Sky let me know if you have any questions. If you don't feel comfortable tackling this yourself we can do it for you and even add an LED conversion if you want. When I do a full rebuild I not only fix what is broken now but will break in the near future. Also be careful when soldering, most people do more damage than good resulting in over double the cost of a rebuild.

• 2 weeks later...