Rear diff front seal leaking

The last part of your question is probably already been answered in your head lol. The answer to the first part of your question is that it is not too bad. Gonna do my neighbors pretty soon. Just gotta drop the drive shaft out of the way, make sure you mark the pinion nuts position in relation to the flange, count your exposed threads, pop off pinion nut, use a screwdriver to crinkle the edge of the old seal so you can pry it out, fully seat your new seal, use a block of wood with a hole in it big enough for your pinion to fit in and seat the seal in by banging on the block of wood. Reconnect everything in line with your marks and make sure you tighten your nut down to the old thread count and maybe give it a little bit more of a rotation.

Youtube. Guy does it on a lift but depending on how low you are dropped, you should be able to do it on your back, or put it on jackstands. If you put it on jackstands, set your ebrake so the pinion doesnt spin on you when reinstalling the pinion nut

Like anything else you do to your baby, you will most likely sweat the details longer than the job itself takes. Should have seen me today when i was installing the vette servo. To me the transmission is this mythical unicorn that should never be touched for fear of catastrophic meltdown lol. Imagine my surprise when i finished, took it for a spin, and the only thing that happened was a big grin appeared on my face.

As others have said, fairly easy to do.. IMO easy to fack up too. The rotating torque of the pinion should be measured prior to removal of the pinion yoke, though. Rotating torque should be 3-5 in/lb tighter upon reinstallation. Make sure you clean the thread sealant off of the yoke splines and put new thread sealant on!

Off topic, I apologize. Fast4popper, I am about to due a rear diff service. May I ask which cover you have? I am completely stock and was thinking to change to T/A. I have a Dorman for short term use but am now questioning it. Just curious what cover you have? Obviously the drop makes our trucks have different drivetrain characteristics/results and I am curious what cover you have on the rear.

I have a few other questions, but with the rear diff cover and if it is a T/A will answer the other questions. I was thinking a static drop next spring w/leaf springs which now has me thinking only stay stock height...

I am sorry to ask an off topic question sir. Just looking for some help from a longtime member. :chevy:

-Andrew

Edited by 03mass (see edit history)