Well the SS is dead :(

rickyrick562

So I was driving on the fwy and was trying to merge to the right but they wouldn't let me so I floored it to pass him and now the truck has a check engine light and it shakes when stopped. Also sounds like the exhaust cracked some where because when driving it into a parking lot it just sounded like the exhaust was leaking very bad and smells of gas. It still drives somewhat just shakes like crazy. Could it be the motor is shot. Truck has just under 75k miles

Any ideas? Idk kinda fed up with this truck plus it's my daily and the semester just started. Now I'm car less. Might just buy a beater for a few hundred bucks until I either decide if I want to fix it or get rid of the ss. Idk just venting

check your spark plugs, and wires, if its not connected to coil back it will cause it the truck to shake like crazy very rough idel.. and not to long ago my #1 spark plug came loose and sounded like a bad exhaust leak, but it was actually a compression leak.. other then knowthing that from experience i dont know what else it could be.. hopefully you can get it fixed!

I got ngk in mine, that's what was recommended, but I'm not SC.. Like above have it towed, and check your spark plugs and wires you will know if they are loose or not, or wire is off... If you start it up and let it idle look under the hood to see if you see the wire boots shaking like crazy or it arcing out off headers or something.. if you go to napa or something tell them the brand you want they have ngk i beleive and they are already pregapped almost all sparkplugs from places come pregapped

Edited by CJ_978 (see edit history)

There is no visible smoke so hoping its just spark plugs. But yeah I drove it like 3 blocks and it was backfiring and just very rough idle. So gonna out new plugs this weekend. I have msd wires and they look fine. Which NGK plugs are you guys running

If you dont hear any knocking/ ticking noise then I'd look into plugs as well. do you have a code reader? watch your oil pressure just to make sure its not low. also does its backfire and spunter while idleing or only once the motor has a load on it? like once your trying to move it under its own power? I have dealt with my fair share of backfiring and missing. being my truck was turboed for many years. Most of the time it would idle pretty smooth and have no issues until I put a load on the motor. I'd normally just swap plugs and start there since plugs are cheap compared to most parts. how old are your current plugs did you gap them properly for boost when installed?

Yeah only backfires under load. Don't have a code reader but do have access to one through my buddy. The dealer installed my last set of plugs so I'm assuming they gapped them to stock specs. What should I gap them at?

For boost they call for .028 - .032 factory is a lot wider like .045 - .055 or something like that I havent used stock gapping for along time but thats what I remember.

I always ran mine at .032 with the boost level i was running 13lbs. anything higher than 15lbs I'd close the gap to .028 so the spark would get blowin out.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

No I never ran the iridium plug. I can't remember the plug number off hand. But I'll check the number when I get home. I do run NGK they are a tr something I can't quite remember. But I'll check.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)