Tranny flush with 130,000+?

As far as doing a shift kit you do not have to drop the complete transmission but once you have the transmission pan dropped to replace the filter. the valve body is right there. at that point you would drop the valve body and install the kit. I have never personally put a shift kit in but I have torn apart a valve body to clean it and inspect it. from everything I have read a shift kit is not really hard and there are a few videos and how to thread that would help you out along the way. But best is if you dont feel to confident in doing it I'd pay to have it done. or take your time and follow directions and do a ton of research and do it yourself. I'm personally a do it my selfer and try to do everything I can just to learn how and be able to say I did it myself. Luckily I have yet to mess something up to where it couldn't be fixed.

Edited by shawnss (see edit history)

This thread reminds me, my transmision is due to be flushed. I had it done at 60k and I'm just over 90k. I like to have everything with fluid changed every 30k. I have always worked on the guidelines of not flushing a higher mile (100k+) transmission if it had never been regularly done as directed by the factory. However, if it has been regularly maintained, I'm comfortable with having it flushed. B&G Fluids (the equipment the dealer uses to flush/change the fluid) actually offers a warranty on the transmission (or coolant system, differentials, transfer case, ect.) if they have been regular serviced with their machines per factory specs. Obviously, this is a sales pitch to push their products but my dealer told me B&D will pay out claims to customers. I think a tranny is $1500, a diff/transfer case is $1,000 and the cooling system is $500.

Say what you will, but the F-150 I had before my SS had 177k when I traded it in. It was my grandfather's truck and was maintained 100% to factory specs it's entire life and all services were done to it. The truck was almost all original and never had any transmission issues. In fact, the truck would probably still be here today but for the damn electrolysis problem it developed in the last year of ownership. Changing heater cores and radiators every 6 months got old and Ford could not solve the issue. Ford even sent factory reps out and they could not figure it out but that is a whole different story.

Doing regular maintenance when you should, has a big effect on how a flush wouldnt hurt anything. I would like to see a dealer warranty any flush if you do indeed drive away and have the trans go out. It wouldnt happen.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

After a few years of doing transmission stuff I can say with 100% confidence the best the you do is pull the pan and replace the filter and add about 4-6qts. of new fluid. Another thing that will help it live a bit longer is a bottle of black label Lube Gard

P1260500.jpg

Doing regular maintenance when you should, has a big effect on how a flush wouldnt hurt anything. I would like to see a dealer warranty any flush if you do indeed drive away and have the trans go out. It wouldnt happen.

Oh yes it will. A flush is the worst thing on the planet you can do other than running it bone dry on fluid.

You guys can argue all you want but I've got 40 years of experience telling me not to do it from the guy that taught Brian how to rebuild these transmissions.

Oh and if you need more proof of what high mileage flushes do. Here is how I spent my Friday night.

CAM00022_zps7f0fb4d1.jpg

Edited by Sprayed99 (see edit history)

Everyone in this thread is correct except one. Below is that example. Flushing a high mileage transmisison is asking for trouble. Ill bet the OP has no idea when the last time the fluid had been changed or if ever. With that said when you flush you break up small particles of crap inside and can plug up the oil circuitry. Oil starvation is a killer and doesnt take much time to do so. Changing fluid and filter is by far the best way to go. Also adding a bottle of friction modifier with the new oil wont hurt a bit. You can get this at any parts store when you get your fluid. I forget the brand but its in a little silver bottle.

On another note. When buying your new filter "kit" try to keep from buying the parts store brand such as Oreillys. I have seen many of these filters collapse internally. Obviously when this happens it starves the pump and turns a loss of power or wont engage any forward gears complaint. Then after it sits it will settle back and able to feed fluid to the pump. Then collapse again back to the same deal.

Go to the dealer and get a filter and gasket kit. Yes it will be higher priced but iv seen 3 of these cheap filters collapse and its just not worth the hassle. I would rather spend the extra on a quality filter than be stuck out in BFE!

go home, you're drunk

Your Dick is out :jester:

After a few years of doing transmission stuff I can say with 100% confidence the best the you do is pull the pan and replace the filter and add about 4-6qts. of new fluid. Another thing that will help it live a bit longer is a bottle of black label Lube Gard

P1260500.jpg

Oh yes it will. A flush is the worst thing on the planet you can do other than running it bone dry on fluid.

You guys can argue all you want but I've got 40 years of experience telling me not to do it from the guy that taught Brian how to rebuild these transmissions.

Oh and if you need more proof of what high mileage flushes do. Here is how I spent my Friday night.

CAM00022_zps7f0fb4d1.jpg

What I meant was to do the filter and fluid change manually, and the flush is what can hurt the trans. I typed it wrong

Thanks for the tip on the Lube Gard. :thumbsup:

A lot of great info. Thank you to all that chimed in. Have learned a lot in the two weeks I have been on this site. The wife gets tired of how much I have been reading and looking at all the trucks and ideas:)