4l80e swap before tune

I just did the 4l80e swap on my truck. I cant get it tuned until next week but needed to move it out of the garage. I have a 3600 circle d converter. Should it take me almost half throttle before it moves? Or is that just because its not tuned for the 80 and stall?

I would think it should still move in 1st gear on its own power with needing a tune. I wouldnt drive it more that 100 feet like that. My truck did the same thing the first time I pulled out of the shop after I did the swap. I had already had mine tuned too. it probably did that because it wasnt pressured up yet with trans fluid. the pump needs a bit of RPM to pump the trans with fluid after a swap.

Rev up the rpms today an out it in reverse an she moves on her own...but still have to give it 1/4 throttle in drive. ..hope its the tune!!

Hmm weird. I guess after you get your tune see what it does. your stall should still act like normal until you apply the foot brake.

I hope Chris didn't overshoot the stall by a mile like he did on mine. I ordered his best multi disk that was supposed to stall no higher than 3k AFTER I add my blower, cam, heads, etc. I'm just now finding out that it's stalling right at 3300 totally stock and Zippy told me it would be close to 4k once I get all the power adders installed.

Well I go to the garage today and find a puddle of transmission fluid on the ground. Its leaking in between the trans and the transfer case. So im guessing its a seal? Does the trans have to be taken out to fix this!? I have the worst luck!!

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Here I am thinking I had the worst luck!

From my experience with my swap, you should only have to take out the cross member and the Transfer Case IF it's leaking between the two...shouldn't be that difficult. Are you sure you installed the gasket between the two?

You may just have the transmission in limp mode which makes it use 3rd gear only in forward gears. That would force you to use alot of throttle to make the truck move. Don't be too nervous until you actually get the truck tuned. The leak however isn't cool, that will take the fun out of the swap.

Yep. I've experienced trans limp mods before too. Ended up being a cracked pressure sensor. There's a small regulator in the pan and it was damaged when I installed the trans. Caused all sorts of issues. As far as the trans to Tcase... There isn't really a seal there, per say. I always put a bead of grey silicone on the back of the trans before bolting on the Tcase. When the Tcase comes off, there's usually a little bit of fluid in there. Maybe 1/4 quart. But it shouldnt see too much fluid. If it's pouring out, I'd say you need to replace the output shaft seal on the trans. Good luck. Let us know how it goes after a tune. Should kick some trans codes if something is terribly wrong, depending on how much mode 6 data is stored. I know you haven't driven it very far..

Edited by MID12sSSS (see edit history)

There is a gasket for that mating surface. I have bought them a few times from all the times I have swapped trannys out on the SS. you can get them at the dealership for like $9.00. even with the paper gasket I still use a bit of RTV i have always applied a thin layer of RTV on both sides of the gasket before installing it. I have had really goof luck with zero leaking there. you only need to remove the rear driveshaft to drop the T-case. its really not that bad only 6 nuts to remove, a speed sensor and a vent tube. I always lift the rear of the truck a few inch's higher then the front to prevent the transmission from leaking fluid out.

It probably is in limp mode seeing how i lost 3rd and 4th gear before I did the swap. Thanks for all the helpful hints guys. I don't know why I didn't put the gasket in between the t-case and transmission..rookie mistake lol Oh well! Guess you learn from your mistakes!! Good thing I have you guys to set me straight!