Around 5k to spend, where to spend it?

6.0ss

IF i have between 5-8k to drop into the SS, Where would the money be best spent keeping in mind this is a daily driver? I am guessing that F/I is the first option and then supporting mods, My goal is to run a 13 second quarter mile!! :driving:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IF i have between 5-8k to drop into the SS, Where would the money be best spent keeping in mind this is a daily driver?  I am guessing that F/I is the first option and then supporting mods, My goal is to run a 13 second quarter mile!! :driving:

IF YOU JUST WANT TO RUN 13'S JUST ADD A CAM, HEADERS, COMP MODS, COLD AIR INTAKE YOU SHOULD RUN AROUND 13.5- 13.8 IN 1/4 MILE AND A VERY GOOD EVERYDAY DRIVER. AND ITS ONLY AROUND $1500 TO $2000 IS ALL YOU WOULD SPEND. THATS WHAT IM DOING WITH MY ss AND ITS AN EVERYDAY DRIVER. YOU WILL ALSO GET BETTER GAS MILLAGE..

IF YOU JUST WANT TO RUN 13'S  JUST ADD A CAM, HEADERS, COMP MODS, COLD AIR INTAKE YOU SHOULD RUN AROUND 13.5- 13.8 IN 1/4 MILE AND A VERY GOOD EVERYDAY DRIVER.  AND ITS ONLY AROUND $1500 TO $2000 IS ALL YOU WOULD SPEND. THATS WHAT IM DOING WITH MY ss AND ITS AN EVERYDAY DRIVER. YOU WILL ALSO GET BETTER GAS MILLAGE..

News flash: A correctly done cam/headers/bolt-on job will run you more than 2k. ;)

Build a solid 408 or 427....low 13's should'nt problem.

Later you can add a supercharger or turbo to get you into the 11's... :eek:

Where are you at, western burbs?  Once the truck is done I let you see how a 427 runs in our truck......

I agree, built motor is gona be the most expandable mod...

I'd do an STS kit, FLP L5 and a PI custom turbo TC.

No one faint now  :crackup:

You figure out how to get that all installed and tuned for 8k, Heck I'm in..... ;)

Get out your check book :)

STS kit can be had for around $3500 base, add $400 for GT67,$400 for injectors, $3000 for the FLP L5/PI TC, $250 for the tranny install, $500-600 for the turbo install.

$8050-8150 out the door. I'll send you a tune for free (cuz otherwise I can't make the numbers work hehe)

In all seriousness: One of your supporting mods really needs to be some tranny work or all the other money will be for nuttin. You probably don't need an FLP L5 on a 13 second truck -- in fact I think there are a few guys running those numbers with a shift kit and servos plus a tc -- but that should be the minimum amount of tranny work you do.

a good set of heads is going to be right around 2k (give or take). Cams can be had for these trucks for $400 or so. It seems like H&C alone aren't going to get a flat 13 on these trucks (but I could be wrong there).

Really the question that needs answering is how much you plan on modding your truck. The turbo will grow with you. The radix is a great kit, however, and would be an easier 'one step' mod. It is a known quantity, and not as bleeding edge in terms of finding people to help you with a tune, options, etc. The STS kits are still new for these trucks (I have the third kit and am the first person to tune it myself -- successfully that is :D ) although the base kit is good for 150 hp with a tune on an otherwise stock LS1 with 110k miles (and yes, I saw the dyno sheet with my own two eyes - everyone will in March...)

the PI converter alone is over a grand shipped unless you get some fantastic deal. i'd recomend a radix or vortech blower with a PI converter. 2600 stall if you tow and 2800 if you don't for the radix. 2800 if you do tow and 3000 if you don't with the vortech. along with a shift kit and servo's paired up with a good tune you should be able to get mid 13's out of either and have a very nice daily driver.

the PI converter alone is over a grand shipped unless you get some fantastic deal. i'd recomend a radix or vortech blower with a PI converter. 2600 stall if you tow and 2800 if you don't for the radix. 2800 if you do tow and 3000 if you don't with the vortech. along with a shift kit and servo's paired up with a good tune you should be able to get mid 13's out of either and have a very nice daily driver.

The PI converter is $875 bucks when you buy an FLP L5 (and $925 by itself from FLP). Those prices I listed? What I paid. I just went to FLPs site, though. Their prices have gone up. An FLP L5 with the PI would now run ~3700.

Ok I am loosing some of you guys on the terminology here.

A PI Converter: I am guessing is a Torque Converter, but why call it a PI

Stall RPM: This I am guessing is the point at which the PI catches and launches the truck?

IF towing you need a lower stall so you don't wear out the PI (why call it a PI??)

What can be done to strenthen our transmissions? I hear that people destroy them when they add power mods.

Does a Torque Converter with a stall of 2600 feel funny when driving? I guess my question is, when you let off the brake in drive, does the truck begin to move and when you step on the gas and the rpm hits 2600, is there a jerk under normal driving or is it not set up this way???

I just want to be very sure of what I am getting My self into. It is a decision of modifying this truck to run 13's or get a RAM SRT10, The SS I think has more practicality to it and is a better daily driver here in the west burbs of chicago!

LAST QUESTION, is a CR5 engine a drop in modification, and what does it cost to get one??

LAST QUESTION, is a CR5 engine a drop in modification, and what does it cost to get one??

Your question is (a C5-R or Small block) it a drop in? You use all current accessories and it bolts up. If you have a good understanding of motors it’s a weekend or two job with a few buddies. But there are plenty of guys that will do build/install/dyno/tune.

Remember you don't need to do the C5-R block; I did because I will run a large turbo or supercharger later.

Raw C5-R Block....$6375

Resleeved LS1 block......$1800-$2500 +exchange

You can go Long or Short Block....The different is the Long block comes with almost everything and the Short block will come with internals components.

You can spend $4,000 or up to $27,000 depending on what you want.

Links of Engine Builders below......

Speed Inc.

MTI

Tbyrne Motor Sports

Katech Engines

Lingenfelter

APE

Archived