Torsion bar tools

Guys I tried my local Advanced Auto and Auto zone for a torsion bar removal tool but neither of them have one to rent and I don't want to doubt cheap but I don't see buying the tool and only using it once.

My question is can I use a c-clamp?, safety is key with me but I have 2 thoughts

1- use a c-clamp because the puck part of the threaded screw is missing so it will fit in the bevel in the torsion bar bracket.

2-I have a ball-joint, u-joint removal tool I may be able to uses.

I am open and awaiting suggestions so fire away.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

I have one I have only used once because I couldn't find one to rent either. I ended up buying a nice one that you can slip a wrench on to keep it from moving while loading/unloading the bars... 50 bucks and you can have it. Thing still looks brand new. If you're interested, pm me your number and I can send you pics

http://youtu.be/sEEz6YKrghQ

This is what I'm going to do, obviously when your jacking the key up your not going to be under the truck with a camera. I feel pretty comfortable about trying it this way.

Anyone else want to bet this guy has a monster mullet?

I saw a video on u tube a a guy using a bolt he placed into his floor jack, he stood the bolt on end so it was vertical in the jack and used that as his tool to remove the tortion bracket.that's kind of scary and dangerous.

I would trust that more then a c clamp or rented tool, at least I know with a floor jack I'm not close to anything blowing up in my face.

To each their own.

I would trust that more then a c clamp or rented tool, at least I know with a floor jack I'm not close to anything blowing up in my face.

To each their own.

That's just it what he was doing was very unsafe and could have easily injured someone.

I can't believe how ignorant some guys get around here.

Let's break this into facts;

The "proper" tool is a screw mechanism, no different then a c clamp. The user needs to be directly under or beside the tool to engage it to screw and apply pressure on the torsion key. While twisting the bolt/clamp you run a larger risk of the tool slipping. A hydraulic jack is a mechanical device that applies a pressure in a very linear plane. The torsion bar key is confirmed to a very limited axis and can only rotate one way. The jack allows the user to rotate the key from a safe distance, with safe sight lines and moves the individual further away from ant potential injury. In the end applying pressure to the torsion key is no different then lifting a vehicle. A 2 ton jack is more then capable and safe to do it.

If you decide to rent a tool, you as the next user have no idea what the previous gut did with it. There's always the chance that someone torqued the tool well beyond its yield to get the job done.

Argue however you want, just leave your ego at the door.

kiss... in interest of seeing you be safe and getting the job done. PM me your address and I will send you the torsion bar unloading tool i have to use, you'd just have to pay the return shipping back to me. Just so you have an idea of what i did with it, I correctly used it to relieve the tension off of (1) set of torsion bars on a 2005 Silverado SS. No air tools...

Although......... after reading this thread I am inclined to tape my oxy-acetyene torch to a broom stick effectively putting it further from my beautiful face therefore making the whole cutting process safer :jester:

HAHA for real though, I'll send ya the tool if you need it... Here's a picture of the one i bought...

torsionbartool_zps657f04b8.jpg