frame repair.

jmontero146

anybody ever had there frame repaired on their trucks? i took my ss to get the frame straighten from the passenger side. it lifted about 2 inches witch makes my hood not close right. wats the outcomes of these repairs?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a car that was hit and the frame was bent. It was put on a frame rack and they tried to pull it back. The car was never the same. It was better before they did anything. You will never get bent frame back to where it was before.. There are gray areas when doing the work, such as by state law, the frame has to be within so many millimeters etc and they call it good.

The bad thing is when pulling on a frame you run the risk of having glass break, unless its pulled out. If its not pulled out you sign a waiver so the shop isnt liable if glass shatters. Interior panels might not line up, doors, fenders etc. With my wifes car, after the frame was bent back to within the state laws requirement, Her door wouldnt fully close toward the roof line. Water would come, wind noise, the fender and hood were off just by looking at it. It dog tracked, meaning, the front of the car was straight, but when you watched it drive from either the front or back the back wasnt even with the front anymore. The back end was always off to the side. I sold the car....

Make sure you go to a very good body shop who specializes in this type of repair. I dont mean a shop that tells you we have done this many times.... thats wont be good enough. If they dont know exactly what they are doing say good by to the truck. They can make it worse. Not to mention good luck every trying to sell it, or trade it in.... It wont be worth anything. Most of the time these vehicles get totaled if the frame is bad enough as its structural support is weakened.

My old Silverado had a bent frame from when I was rear ended. The only way you could tell the frame was bent was when it went on the frame rack, and the lasers pointed it out. It was only off by an inch, and it was totaled.

it dirnt brake it, it just bended it. i just hope they can fix it good. they use the ez chief liner to do all there frame work. the truck runs good and everything its just that stupid gap on the left side of the hood that is caused by the frame being a little more up on that side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amu4ateg.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looks broke in this pic due to how far apart the radiator support is. It should have no more than a 1/4 inch of a gap. Yours is huge, and it bends froward.

If it was me I'd find another frame and swap everything over. Your frame will never be 100% true. I had a s-10 extreme that had frame damage. The rear end looked like is was turned toward the drivers side when riding behind it.

$300 bucks is a lot cheaper than having the entire frame replaced so I would say go for it if the shop knows what they are doing and can get it back to where everything lines up. I've known some people that had regular silverados that had the frame fixed after a wreck and everything lined back up and fit together.