Black Bear Tune Question

Normandy

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm checking into it but according to what Ive found the shop specializes in LS motors and has done so for yrs. I'd like to think that makes them pretty good.

Some people prefer to use someone local then to do a mail order tune, if you have the software your self then you can log and exchange with an out of town tuner for best results. The benefit of someone local is that you can talk to them in person and adjust the tune in person.

I would talk to more then one tuner and see who you feel more comfortable with, and of course there background. There's a few tuners on here that very knowledgeable and wouldn't hesitate to use myself.

Doesn't mean anything. It's really hit or miss. Or go to someone with a hell of a reputation.

Sorry, i forgot to mention that it was 10 yrs of experience they claim to have with LS motors..

Some people prefer to use someone local then to do a mail order tune, if you have the software your self then you can log and exchange with an out of town tuner for best results. The benefit of someone local is that you can talk to them in person and adjust the tune in person.

I would talk to more then one tuner and see who you feel more comfortable with, and of course there background. There's a few tuners on here that very knowledgeable and wouldn't hesitate to use myself.

I really have no problem with BB, I just wish they were more local. Unfortunately there no where near me. Thats now to say i can't/wont do their scan cable tune, however if the person @ Sho Me Speed is capable, I don't see why i wouldn't use them.

What mods do you have? I know every engine runs different but if you don't have an extensive list of mods there probably isn't a significant need to have it logged. Most tuners can get you what you need through a mail order tune if your just bolt ons, even cam setups or FI.

I recommend you talk to whatever tuners you have in mind and see what they can offer you. I know the topic is about black bear, and I've never heard any negatives on him so that's a plus, Zippy is another tuner on here with happy customers.

What mods do you have? I know every engine runs different but if you don't have an extensive list of mods there probably isn't a significant need to have it logged. Most tuners can get you what you need through a mail order tune if your just bolt ons, even cam setups or FI.

I recommend you talk to whatever tuners you have in mind and see what they can offer you. I know the topic is about black bear, and I've never heard any negatives on him so that's a plus, Zippy is another tuner on here with happy customers.

There were a couple of mods on the truck when i bought it. BBK 80mm TB and dual flowmaster super 10 mufflers. I added the Volant CAI with scoop. When I talked with the shop today, they said they couldn't even get me in until July 21st because there that busy. To me thats kind of a good sign about their business. But I'm sure I can have BB do it well ahead of that.

When I talked with them on the phone and told him I just needed a tune done he told me the price. I asked when he could do it and he wouldn't give me a straight answer other than not any of the days I asked about. Said it was best to call and schedule it. Umm thats what I was trying to do thats why I called.

When I talked with them on the phone and told him I just needed a tune done he told me the price. I asked when he could do it and he wouldn't give me a straight answer other than not any of the days I asked about. Said it was best to call and schedule it. Umm thats what I was trying to do thats why I called.

:wtf: When you talked with who??

The re-tune issue is a good question to have, but that is about 20% of what you need to do. Check with people who have had that person tune their truck and ask how they like the tuning. Not only ask them though, see how well their car runs for yourself. I've watched people at car shows brag about their tuner all the while their cars stall, surge, have a hard time starting, and run much slower than expected at the track. As for re-tune policy that is another big issue at hand. Many of the tuners claim to have free re-tunes and then suddenly you can't get them to return your calls or have the dyno charge issue. I had a shop I worked for that said you get free re-tunes, but his way of making them free was that the tuning was free, but you paid for dyno time for the re-tune. Not exactly free. Paying for a re-tune is something you should expect to do. Experience in the field is a big deal, but once again not that big. I frequently fix people's tuning for shops that have been around for 15-20 years. My recommendation on mail order or dyno. For mail order check around to see who's car/truck runs a good number for it's mods to start with. You also want to ask the customer themselves if they are happy with the tune completely and not just a cover up because they like that person. For dyno tuning ask around town and check out their work at car shows, drag strip, their own shop, etc. If they are really good you'll even get other shops that will simply say that tuner xxx is really good even if they don't work with them. Look into that tuners more custom work even if you don't have it or need it. The tuners who say I can do bolt on cars or xxx and xxx, but not xxx, or xxx aren't tuners. If you find a tuner who can't do 1 bar sd, 2 bar sd, 3 bar sd, big cam, small cam, virtual v.e., etc then you are a novice tuner and not a real tuner. I've personally tuned using 28 different software types over the years including Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Ford, GM, etc, etc, etc. I'm not trying to sell you on me by any means. Just giving people out there info to go on when looking for your tuner whether local or not. There are a small number of good tuners out there and thousands of hacks. The re-tune thing alone is something that has gained me alot of business though I will say. I charge for re-tunes and tell that to my customers up front. There are a good number of tuners who tell you it's free and then suddenly they won't answer your calls or e-mails because free doesn't pay the bills.

The re-tune issue is a good question to have, but that is about 20% of what you need to do. Check with people who have had that person tune their truck and ask how they like the tuning. Not only ask them though, see how well their car runs for yourself. I've watched people at car shows brag about their tuner all the while their cars stall, surge, have a hard time starting, and run much slower than expected at the track. As for re-tune policy that is another big issue at hand. Many of the tuners claim to have free re-tunes and then suddenly you can't get them to return your calls or have the dyno charge issue. I had a shop I worked for that said you get free re-tunes, but his way of making them free was that the tuning was free, but you paid for dyno time for the re-tune. Not exactly free. Paying for a re-tune is something you should expect to do. Experience in the field is a big deal, but once again not that big. I frequently fix people's tuning for shops that have been around for 15-20 years. My recommendation on mail order or dyno. For mail order check around to see who's car/truck runs a good number for it's mods to start with. You also want to ask the customer themselves if they are happy with the tune completely and not just a cover up because they like that person. For dyno tuning ask around town and check out their work at car shows, drag strip, their own shop, etc. If they are really good you'll even get other shops that will simply say that tuner xxx is really good even if they don't work with them. Look into that tuners more custom work even if you don't have it or need it. The tuners who say I can do bolt on cars or xxx and xxx, but not xxx, or xxx aren't tuners. If you find a tuner who can't do 1 bar sd, 2 bar sd, 3 bar sd, big cam, small cam, virtual v.e., etc then you are a novice tuner and not a real tuner. I've personally tuned using 28 different software types over the years including Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Dodge, Ford, GM, etc, etc, etc. I'm not trying to sell you on me by any means. Just giving people out there info to go on when looking for your tuner whether local or not. There are a small number of good tuners out there and thousands of hacks. The re-tune thing alone is something that has gained me alot of business though I will say. I charge for re-tunes and tell that to my customers up front. There are a good number of tuners who tell you it's free and then suddenly they won't answer your calls or e-mails because free doesn't pay the bills.

Thank you for the information Zippy. All that research is great but it would take me awhile to try to find the people this guys tuned and work all that out. Ive heard nothing but good things from Black Bear and after thinking it through I'm going to have them do my tune. I hope when its all said and done I can be one of those guys saying " Night and Day difference" :pepsicheer:

• 2 weeks later...

I need help with my BB scan tune. I received my scan cable from BB. Loaded the software but when i try to set the pids to what the instructions show, it tells me its not a valid pid? Ideas? I tried making a new thread but something was up with the forum and it wouldnt let me.

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)