I'm about to cry

90zxdriver

OK, I might have actually sobbed when there was nobody around. I washed my truck just before I left for a week. I came home and the truck was dirty from sitting under some oak trees for the last week so I was going to give it another bath and found this! There was nothing wrong with the paint a week ago. I am astonished this happened in a week. I always take care of my paint, wash the truck regularly and keep wax on it. It was been garage kept on and off for the past 4 years I have owned it. Now I don't know what to do, paint the hood, paint the whole truck or just trade it of. The rest of the paint is fine but so wasn't the hood a week ago. Damn Florida sun!

AeFtrFQ.jpg

I dont know what it is with red. but I have seen this a few times. even happened on one of my red vehilces. it does look like normal Gm clear peeling issue. does it see a lot of time sitting in the sun?

That does suck.

How often has the truck been polished/ waxed?

It is clear coat failure, nothing malicious or intentional. The front bumper has been re-sprayed at some point but not the hood. If you look closely at the pictures you can see tiny little bubbles. I found the same bubbles on the other corner of the hood and on the corners of the roof, no clear failing like this but there are these tiny bubbles. I have to do something, I can't leave it like this, it looks horrible. Within the last 10k miles I have done a hydroboost conversion, Z06 brakes w/ SS lines, Nitto 420's in a 305/50/20 and just 2 weeks ago put new belltech shocks w/ the DJM rear sway bar (yeah, a lot of $). I had been considering trading it or selling it for a new Sierra Denali but now I'm stuck. Nobody will buy it as is and a dealer isn't going to give me crap for it. Painting it seems like my only option. My issue is where do I stop... the truck has 96K miles on it and although it is in very good condition, it has road wear consistent with a 100k mile vehicle. So, do I paint just the hood, the nose or fix all imperfections and re-paint the whole truck? I'm worried if I try to just paint the hood it won't match the rest of the truck and it will be obviously re-painted. I have been quoted 5-6k to re-spray the entire truck the correct way, removing everything. I also have a guy who will shoot just the hood for just $300.

I try to wax it every 6 months, sometimes its sooner, sometimes later. The truck exclusively gets Adams products. It has spent the last 1 1/2 years outside beause it was 6" too long to fit in the garage and yes, the Florida sun does bake paint.

Edited by 90zxdriver (see edit history)

I dont know what it is with red. but I have seen this a few times. even happened on one of my red vehilces. it does look like normal Gm clear peeling issue. does it see a lot of time sitting in the sun?

That does suck.

How often has the truck been polished/ waxed?

Funny you mention this, my buddy has a 05 white 2500HD Duramax. I was telling him about my hood and he walked me over to his truck. Same clear failure in the same spot and it is also showing signs of clear failure on most of the flat (hood, roof and bed-rails) surfaces as well. His truck however is a farm truck, he doesn't have garage and has always been outside but I have rarely seen white do this, it is usually the darker colors.

Funny you mention this, my buddy has a 05 white 2500HD Duramax. I was telling him about my hood and he walked me over to his truck. Same clear failure in the same spot and it is also showing signs of clear failure on most of the flat (hood, roof and bed-rails) surfaces as well. His truck however is a farm truck, he doesn't have garage and has always been outside but I have rarely seen white do this, it is usually the darker colors.

Yeah I havent seen many lighter vehicle to this. like you said its mostly darker colors. just sucks it happens.