Hey guys I just recently had my tires rotated/balanced. They told me all four were off by acouple ounces. Then the next day as I was driving I started to hear a slight humming noise coming from my front but only when I push on the gas and not at really low/high speeds around 30-50 mph. I figured it was something wrong with the balance, I took it back to the place and they said everything with the balance was great and then they told me it could be one of the tires but they are brand new 420's and I didnt hear thus noise before I took it in. Any ideas on what it could be? Front diff? Its not the tranny for sure so thats good.

Mine does the same thing. Whine/hum but only when on the throttle and right around 50. I'm just assuming it's the front diff. Now that my fronts hubs have gone bad, it kinda drowns out the diff noise... :)

If it is the diff, I'm not doing it till the truck won't drive anymore.

You guys think a fluid change might help

Fluid change quieted mine down some, (Not completely), for a couple weeks. It did make it obvious that the noise was coming from the front diff.

Edited to add; I changed mine using regular fluid, (Not synthetic), synthetic may actually be worth the extra money in this case. (Might buy you more time). I have gone to full synth since having the diff rebuilt.

Edited by Downeast Johnny (see edit history)

I really dont have time to change it myself. You think a chevy dealership will know how to do it probably. Im always worried when other people are working on my truck. I just turn wrenches all day on aircraft so when I get home I just want to be lazy lol

Ya im really thinking its my diff. Is it hard to change the fluid?

The easy part is pulling the drain plug and wiping off the magnet. The harder part is putting the fluid in from the top. I used a clear hose that fit over the bottle of diff fluid and went into the fill hole. I had to pour slowly and angle the bottle in a weird position. Once i had enough fluid out of the bottle, I put a small hole in the end to let the fluid flow. Fill it to the top of the fill hole. Once you see fluid coming out its full.

While your down there, I would do the transfer case also, if it hasnt been done. Keeping up maintenance will help alot. I have never had a issue with anything other than doing oil changes, alternators, and battery once. If you do the fluid changes, rear diff etc within the mileage GM refers to, You wont have a issue.

Edited by Blown 346 (see edit history)

I use a pump made to refill an outboard motor lower unit.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=lower+unit+gear+lube+pump&sprefix=lower+unit%2Caps%2C199

a little slow, (Lots of pumping), but clean and effective. One of the easier maintenance jobs on our trucks. Might take you an hour the first time you do it.