03 SS, need definitive answers on what I've got here.

So I need to completely go through my rear brakes, and I'm having massive trouble figuring out exactly what I have. 2003 ss, g80 rear axle, jb4 brake code. I believe I have 4.11's, but need to know ring gear size, and any other details so I can order backing plates, parking brake shoes and hardware, pads, and all that good stuff. I've searched, I can't find any reliable info. Thanks in advance.

You should be able to go to the dealership with your vin I did those backing plates along with the axle seals and ta diff cover and there are some rubber pieces that work the ebrake that I also needed good luck with the repair any questions just ask

3:73 was stock in 03 but 4:10 was an option. It should show a code on your glove box codes. Calling the dealer with your vin would be easier than looking up codes or just see what's stamped on the ring gear.

3:73 was stock in 03 but 4:10 was an option. It should show a code on your glove box codes. Calling the dealer with your vin would be easier than looking up codes or just see what's stamped on the ring gear.

3:73 was not a option. 4:10 only for AWD SS trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Well than I have the optional 3:73 in my 2003 AWD. It was 2004 4:10 was standard.

Well I can only think of 3 things that could've happened. 1) they were swapped without your knowledge by a previous owner 2) there was a mix up at the factory 3) it was ordered with 3.73s but by someone with the authority to do it at the central office, which would mean it's a central office production order or COPO... Which I don't think is what happened.

I'm thinking number 2. IF you actually have 3.73s. Only the 2wd 05.5+ trucks came with 3.73s standard.

I'm the original owner. I didn't have it built, I just bought it off the lot and it's AWD with 3:73. I remember being bummed when I learned 4:10 was available in 2004. I still have the window sticker somewhere. I'll try finding it.

I'm the original owner. I didn't have it built, I just bought it off the lot and it's AWD with 3:73. I remember being bummed when I learned 4:10 was available in 2004. I still have the window sticker somewhere. I'll try finding it.

That would be interesting to see for sure. What does your glove box say?

Edited by canadianVRss (see edit history)

My truck is also a 2003 and I had 4:10's stock before I changed them to 4:54's... Never heard of any AWD SSS with 3:73's. They were geared down for a reason, one reason was because the truck had more parasitic loss through the SSS's AWD drivetrain than a normal 2WD truck had... No one in there right mind would have had one ordered for 3:73's unless, (they wanted it a slow dog out of the whole and grand illusions of big fuel savings) LMAO :crackup: .... On top of it all in order for your speedo to read correctly someone from GM would have had to go way out of there way to also change the tune to correct it... As every other stock 2003 SSS would have been 4:10's with the exception of yours apparently... Probably a typo in the window sticker if it does say 3:73... a couple sources for your reading....

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/2003/chevrolet/silveradoss/firstlook3.html

https://www.driverside.com/specs/chevrolet-silverado_ss-2003-3898-8351-0

Not the most reliable source but also states 4:10... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Silverado

Well I can only think of 3 things that could've happened. 1) they were swapped without your knowledge by a previous owner 2) there was a mix up at the factory 3) it was ordered with 3.73s but by someone with the authority to do it at the central office, which would mean it's a central office production order or COPO... Which I don't think is what happened.

I'm thinking number 2. IF you actually have 3.73s. Only the 2wd 05.5+ trucks came with 3.73s standard.

Well put. There was no factory Silverado SS produced with 3.73 gear from GM for 03', 04', or 05' (except the rare 2wd 05's). All of the AWD SSS's were 4.10 gear and Gov-lock differential. There was no option at all for gearing on them. I know of one Silverado SS with a 3.73 that was factory made with 3.73 gear. Kurt Urban's Silverado SS was a GMC C3 which Transtar (who made the Silverado SS) had converted to a full package Silverado SS as the display prototype for GM. If you are getting brake parts from the dealer you should only need a vin and nothing else. If you are buying them aftermarket you need to only use the brake option code and tell them you have the 330mm brake rotors with dual piston calipers. The normal Silverado 1500 came with the 325mm rotor which is quite a bit thinner and uses a single piston caliper (yes including the tow package and Z71). There was no change till the 2wd's came in 05' which brought on the 3.73 gear, drum brakes in the rear, and 14 bolt 9.5" diff. They have 13" front rotors which was a nice upgrade from GM.

I just checked the window sticker and to my shock, it didn't list the gear ratio. It had everything from synthetic gear oil in the rear right down to the spare tire lock listed. So I'm going through other paperwork now. I'm really gonna be ticked if I have to go outside, Jack up my truck, put a chalk marks and count rotations in 8* degree weather....

I do have the large rotors with dual piston calipers and the truck did come with the tow package but I think they all did.

Edited by Hugie (see edit history)