Transfer leaking

I got an11 year old hockey player and a 3 year old daughter so I pay an extra 50 federal & 50 state in taxes all year long so it's like a savings account and that works for me I payed just over 20,000 in taxes and got back 6400 so if I didn't do that I'd never get anything done family life is expensive but they always come first oh well sooner or later it always gets done

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just left the chevy house and they said there no output shaft seal on our transmissions. Has anyone replaced one and if so can they point me in the direction to getting one and do I have to pull the transmission apart to do so? Thanks fellas

I never worked on a awd truck but it should be the same as every other 4wd truck with a t case and the 4l60. There is a transmission output seal and a transfer case input shaft seal.

I never worked on a awd truck but it should be the same as every other 4wd truck with a t case and the 4l60. There is a transmission output seal and a transfer case input shaft seal.

is that the 2 gaskets in the pic I posted 1 looks to be a fiber and 1 is rubber

Well just started it and it's pouring from the trans at the output shaft, but looks like the output shaft has movement in it as well. Don't see a seal of any type so looks like this tranny is coming out! Dangit

That's my thinkin as well, every time I have seperated a transfer off a chevy trans it has leaked. Now I have only pulled three off of others trucks and pulled mine three times as well but it makes sense to me. I'm gonna call some transmission shops and see what they tell me.

Yea I've already picked up all the gaskets and the input gasket on the transfer case but don't want to put it together and it not fix the problem. All trans shops are closed today so I'll have to wait till Monday but I'm still waiting on the chain and screen anyways so it is what it is for today.

is that the 2 gaskets in the pic I posted 1 looks to be a fiber and 1 is rubber

I don't see any pictures. There is just a gasket that goes between the t case and trans there is a seal on input on t-case. Sorry to confuse you.

I don't see any pictures. There is just a gaskets that goes between the t case and trans there is a seal on input on t-case. Sorry to confuse you.

the picture is on post #12 there was 2 gasket that were shipped with my transmission that I was using as an example for Doughty08 to look at to see if that was what he was talking about

I do get confused but not this time

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)

I just pulled the input shaft out of the transfer to look and compare the seal to the other t-case I have it noticed it was full of rtv. The seal isn't worn on a specific side and seems somewhat still maluable compared to the brand new seal. So unsure if that's the problem but am gonna replace the input seal anyways just for safe measure, the thiefs at the dealership wanted just over fifty bucks for that seal. Just don't understand why it was coming out of the breather tube.

When my guy rebuilt my transfer case he found RTV on the pump pickup screen I'm not sure what he used when putting it back together he might have used a gasket but he called me into the shop to show me like it wasn't normal he also added the case saver in it even though there wasn't any wear but always good to put some protection in there while your in it

Yea the t-case I got off a guy on her about a year ago had roughly 40k on it from what he said but it broke the adapter when o put it in and split the front part of the case. The rear half of the case is perfect so I put a new tail shaft seal on it and also just installed a new pump and the case saver so I'm starting out fresh on that end. The new chain came in about two hours ago and I cleaned the front half of the case removing any rtv in the cracks and checked all the bearings for play and it all looks new. Now just have to wait till Monday when the new screen comes in to Finnish it up and see if this input seal was in fact the culprit. Wish me luck fellas and thanks for the input, def need the second opinions on stuff like this.

After using some honda bond case sealer when I rebuilt my R1 motor and also used it when I rebuilt my srx 700 motor I'd use that over rtv it's made to seal engine cases and takes a lot of heat abuse those motors don't use gaskets that is how they seal the stuff works great I just sqeeze it on my finger and spread a decent amount where you need it a little gos a long way

Edited by Aldofashow (see edit history)