4L80e Pressure drop during 1-2 shift only

Curious, since the 80e is rear

Feeding, are you running -an lines for your cooler? If you are, are you using the extended feed return fitting? Or just a regular screw in?

My first 80 I went to Chevy and bought stock 80e trans lines and ran those. This one I'm running -6 AN lines and fittings + eliminated the stock, vertical secondary radiator cooler so it just loops through the 40k, which I had to move down into my bumper grille. Here's a pic just before we installed the Russell 90's. Temps are very cool down there - I'm seeing around 130 degrees cruising down the highway but did get up around 180 yesterday when I got caught in traffic...it was around 80 degrees outside too

20150314_085428.jpg

20150303_115005.jpg

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

I had to move mine to the lower grill as well. no room for the 4" intercooler. but id guess that in the rear, that fitting needed to be the longer one. if i remember ill pull my rear out and take a picture for you.

Both fittings that go into the trans are AN adaptors that just screw in - Chuck from FLT installed them when he built the trans so I don't know if the male threads that screw into the trans are different lengths. Then I used 2 Russell 90's to the -6 hoses as 45's interfered with my headers.

Hey buddy, Your trans could also be toast from not having the TAP's reset!!!!! Also did your shop perform a flow test on the trans cooler? Did they flush it out correctly? I see more secondary trans failures from taps not be reset and coolers plugged than you would imagine...The trans fluid level be 1-2 quarts low usually doesn't cause failure... I would not recommend you keep the fluid level low, but I don't see it causing the trans to fail...

Hummm, ok I was pretty much going by what Jake from Jake's performance transmissions told me on PT net. He told me the ONLY thing that could cause a 20psi pressure drop ONLY during the 1 - 2 shift and ONLY at WOT is either a pickup issue or it being low on fluid. http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/gm-drivetrain-suspension-22/80e-pressure-drop-during-1-2-shift-%3D-cooked-clutches-536443/page3/

I even shipped my converter to PI to have it cut and cleaned and bought a can of Kooler Kleen trans flush and had him flush my 40k, although I don't think he did a flow test on it. Also since this was a totally different transmission (pre '97 80e) all new cooler lines were installed as well.

Hey buddy, Your trans could also be toast from not having the TAP's reset!!!!! Also did your shop perform a flow test on the trans cooler? Did they flush it out correctly? I see more secondary trans failures from taps not be reset and coolers plugged than you would imagine...The trans fluid level be 1-2 quarts low usually doesn't cause failure... I would not recommend you keep the fluid level low, but I don't see it causing the trans to fail...

LOL, I said same thing..... :cool:

Mystery solved - at my own expense of course! Chuck from FLT suggested the pre '97 80e but failed to tell me the dipstick was a different part number. Just came in today from Chevy - a special order.

20150328_180700.jpg

20150328_175651.jpg

Note the witness mark I made last weekend after pulling the pan and marking the correct fluid level on my old 80e dipstick

20150328_175641.jpg

Which dipstick is which??.. mine is the straight one.. not the round tip one... before I install mine I want to make sure..I have 97+ 80e

The pn I have on mine is 15687193

After you install the trans, drop the pan, install the stick and mark it where the pan mates to the trans. then add 1/4" onto that...that's supposed to be the correct fill level for a performance build, and that's the mark seen on the longer dipstick in the pic. Chuck from FLT, however, never told about this procedure and told me to only fill to the factory marked fill line...not to mention the fact that he sold me the wrong tube and never told me about the different dipstick. That's why both of my transmissions cooked second gear...not enough fluid.

The research I gathered from the Chevy dealer was: Dipstick TUBE (15729870) stayed the same from 1991 to '96 (non LS style) AND '97 to 2000 LS Style 4L80e's. However, the DIPSTICK was only the same for the '91 to '96's (15996922) then it changed from '97 and newer 80e's. Chuck sold me a 2001+ TUBE (15832205) with my first post '97 80e. This could have possibly been the wrong tube for my first one if it was built in '97 to '00 (who knows the exact year of the first one) and was most definitely wrong for the pre '97 he built for me the second time around.

Here are the intermediate clutches that came out of Chuck's FLT he just built for me the second time around. Note the hot spots on the steels from the second gear clutches slipping due to improper fluid levels.

Cooked%20FLT%20clutches.jpg

Edited by L8ERBRO (see edit history)

Damn that sucks.... so question is which tube and dipstick do I need??.. I don't want this trans ****ing up... or I'm driving it off a cliff(3 transmissions in 1 year) .....sucks to see this happen to you... hopefully mine will hold my 408 tvs2300 ls3 style....