A/C tensioner troubles!!!

edgarss44

What's up everyone? I'm wondering if its just me with this a/c tensioner issues? I have a 06 SS that I got new and in almost 10 years I've changed out that tensioner 6 times! Never had any other issues but that yet! I went OEM twice, then I went O'Riley's brand, auto zone,Napa,pepboys and they all seem to last about 1 to 1 1/2 years each on average? What the hell?? Anybody else have this issue??

I don't think so? A/C pump pulley spins freely! Every time I replace the tensioner I check the belt for abnormal wear but everything seams fine? Ive even changed belts just in case. But same problem. I know its not a big deal to replace but it gets annoying after a few times!

I don't think so? A/C pump pulley spins freely! Every time I replace the tensioner I check the belt for abnormal wear but everything seams fine? Ive even changed belts just in case. But same problem. I know its not a big deal to replace but it gets annoying after a few times!

I assume bone stock? What exactly is the problem you just say you replace but why bearing noise, belt squeal? Need more info.... you might want to check pulley alignment.... gates makes a special "tool" a laser belt alignment tool... but total guess based on your I've just replaced bunch of times comment....

I had a buddy with an Escalade (same driveline) that went through several tensioner before the a/c compressor finally went bad. Turns out the compressor was binding up and putting a lot of strain on the tensioner. It would only do it when the clutch was engaged. It was fine when the a/c was off.

yeah Its stock! Bearing noise every time!

I assume bone stock? What exactly is the problem you just say you replace but why bearing noise, belt squeal? Need more info.... you might want to check pulley alignment.... gates makes a special "tool" a laser belt alignment tool... but total guess based on your I've just replaced bunch of times comment....

I had a buddy with an Escalade (same driveline) that went through several tensioner before the a/c compressor finally went bad. Turns out the compressor was binding up and putting a lot of strain on the tensioner. It would only do it when the clutch was engaged. It was fine when the a/c was off.

OK! Everything seems to be OK when a/c is on and of it just goes bad eventually! I hope its not my compressor going bad!

yeah! I'm thinking The same way know! I'll have to check alignment! How do you check if the compressor is going bad?

Take belt off and see if there is any play in the front clutch.. if it wiggles its bad.

more than likely compressor. 4.8,5.3 and 6.0 trucks are prone to liquid slugging caused by compressor placement (oil has to be pushed upstream). usually is accompanied by a "rattle" under acceleration... hope you get it figured out.