Low Idle/ Near Stalling

Hey guys,

My SS has has a low idle ( 500 give or take 50 rpm) for the last couple of months and its starting to get worse. Recently its been trying to die on me coming to a stop or shortly thereafter but its never consistent. Ive searched the forum and cannot find anything I haven't tried i.e cleaned the TB, replaced the Tb gasket, cleaned the MAF, checked The intake tubing is tight, checked the vacuum lines ( I only found 2, brake booster and one on the left valve cover. if there are more please let me know), Ive already ran sea foam and BG 44k, Ive installed new spark plugs and wires ( months ago before the idle issue), also, its not throwing any codes. Other than this the truck runs fine.. Please help me figure this out,

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had similar issues. Came down to the alternator or voltage regulator inside the alternator. Does voltage gauge dip pretty low when coming to a stop?

I haven't checked but i will now. I have noticed it bouncing around alot lately when im on the highway. Oil pressure a little too.

Thank you

I have had similar issues. Maf, tb replaced. Idle is so low that it seems like truck is on verge of stalling.

Thats where im at now, It drives me crazy. I hate coming to a stop now. I may see about having Justin @ Blackbear up the idle for me but it really shouldn't have to be done..

Curious.... My rpms would shoot dowm around to 500 too when coming to a stop. I would have to power brake it at stops to 800 just to keep the voltage up to 14 or so volts to keep it going. I wonder what rpm the auto parts store load test the alternator at. I still have my old one and when i get off work i will go and test it at o reilys and see what it comes up with. Not saying 100% that it is your alternator but guessing by no codes being thrown. In which mine had no codes either.

Also your saying this happen just at idling or coming down to an idle?

Had same issues with random stalling/low idle at stops, ended up being upstream o2s were bad, had tuner turn them off and purrs like a walrus again

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Where are the "upstream" o2's located? Would you still happen to have that part #?

Pre cat and I got Bosch 15282

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

One or two o2's? Come to think of it my fuel economy has gone down as of the last 4 months or so.. How long are o2's typically good for?

Edited by Normandy (see edit history)

Both mine were bad so replaced 2

Sent from my One M8 using Tapatalk

The more I think about the o2's the more it makes sense. This issue started shortly after I ran some NOS octane booster.. I'm starting to think it ruined my o2's.. Thoughts?