Alaska SS Owners - How the SS doing ?

IBCNYA

Ok

I just got in from takeing the kid trick or treating. Wow the lil fart cleaned up. He makes a great batman for a 4 yr old. I got to get him to stop yelling trick or treat before he knocks on the door. Hey he's 4. We are working on it.

What I was posting about is I wanted to gage the handling of everyone in Anchorage driving the SS. How did/do they handle now that you have driven them on the snow and the crazy snow/ice we have on our streets tonight. I have to say my truck handles pretty good. Its like snot out there on the roads and she does spin. She does however have a good amount of traction. I was impressed. The wide body of the SS and the AWD helps a TON. Im still debating on getting the tires studded since I am buying new 22's and tires next summer. It would help alot in the starting and stopping.

Fill me in on how you like the SS so far this winter.

TJ

only the first snow fall in alaska, we had our first snow in alberta in like the beginning of october, it was pretty rough quite icy, but the SS handled pretty good even with the stock 20s. It still slides a bit on the ice but almost every car does. Do you use snow tires up in alaska or are the stock ones good enough up there?

Nope it's not the first snowfall of the year, but the first that is here to stay.

Well, here's my opinion. Get-up and go is no problem at all with the AWD, but I have encountered wheel spin from a stop. On corners the backend sways around like a two wheel drive truck in fresh slick stuff. The thing I don't like is this truck can't stop itself for anything. Coming home from the game last night I was headed down Dimond and had to stop for the light at King. I was only doing 30 and started braking near the Mongolian BBQ place...ABS kicked in and I slid all the way through the intersection. :ughdance:

Now today is a different story. With the snow on the roads being packed down and a little bit on dirt/gravel down, I have had zero problems. Even had to do a panic stop, because of some jackass darting out of a side road onto Artic without stoppping, and the truck stopped like it was on dry pavement.

I think I am going to look for some 18's with some Blizzak's.

Nope it's not the first snowfall of the year, but the first that is here to stay.

Well, here's my opinion.  Get-up and go is no problem at all with the AWD, but I have encountered wheel spin from a stop.  On corners the backend sways around like a two wheel drive truck in fresh slick stuff.  The thing I don't like is this truck can't stop itself for anything.  Coming home from the game last night I was headed down Dimond and had to stop for the light at King.  I was only doing 30 and started braking near the Mongolian BBQ place...ABS kicked in and I slid all the way through the intersection.  :ughdance:

Now today is a different story.  With the snow on the roads being packed down and a little bit on dirt/gravel down, I have had zero problems.  Even had to do a panic stop, because of some jackass darting out of a side road onto Artic without stoppping, and the truck stopped like it was on dry pavement.

I think I am going to look for some 18's with some Blizzak's.

Get a quote together and PM me Lefty. I sure would be interested. I just bought 2 new Polaris 600 RMK snowmachines today. My budget got hit pretty hard. I need the new tires tho for pulling this new 4 place aluminum trailor w/ sleds. I was thinking of just studding the LS's I have on now and just rolling these since im getting new rims/tires next summer.

Oh..btw....any you SS owners in AK wanna go blast some snow this winter you just drop me a line. We can have them hitched up and driving out of Anchorage in about 20 minutes. :D

TJ

Well, So far I have mixed reviews on the SS snow performance. The first day of snow fall the roads were hell. The SS did not perform very well :shakehead: , Sliding through corners, And not stopping for a damn. :shakehead: Now that could be attributed to one of two things, One being "Driver Error" Me :banghead: , Not being framilar with the way she handles in the snow. The other thing is the roads were horrible, Basically just packed snow, No plowing or sanding had been done. Fellas, On sunday night what did we get? 3 or 4 inches? Oh yeah and another thing I am thinking that the SS had less then a 1/4 of a tank. Could that have had something to do with it? No weight on the rear end? :dunno:

Now for the good news. The SS performs superbly on groomed roads i.e. little plowing and sanding. I had excellent control at moderate to high speeds, Good stopping, And cornering ability :thumbs: . Keep in mind the road conditions I am describing are by no means dry or clear. Just not a complete mess like the first day of snow fall. So in conclusion I would give the overall rating IMHO of the SS in snow as above average :thumbs: , But not the best. :driving::flag:

I'm not in Alaska, But I have had some issues with the SS on wet roads as it likes to push the front. A change of tires will probably take care of this. I'm not a big fan of Goodyear tires and think there are some better tire choices that would improve our trucks handling in inclement weather. Tire Rack has some good info and reviews on their website. Just my .02

Archived