12.5 volts.. puzzled

ok

I got 2 batteries. in series.. new grounds.. powermaster 225 amp 14.8v alternator.. all 0 guage stinger wire..

for some reason im only getting 12.5v... and I cannot figure out WTF is goin on.. anyone else see weird behavior like that?

oh yeah, one of my batteries is brand stinkin new.. today

did that.. they're both showing 12.5 volts.. or about that anyway.. but then I run the truck.. I see 14, then it sucks down to 12.5.. almost like im running on batteries only with no alternator..but I had the alt tested and it tested fine.

My 07 Tahoe does the same thing , I read something about the alt not kicking in at idle , except my lights flicker bad

My 07 Tahoe does the same thing , I read something about the alt not kicking in at idle , except my lights flicker bad

Not sure if u made a typo when saying you had them hood in series but they should be hooked in parallel to obtain 12 volts and the alternator to charge both batteries, if hooked in series then you should have 24 volts an a fried electrical system. I'm hoping typo.

Don't forget to mention you may have torched some wires from the underhood fuse/distribution area, to the motor. I've been telling you since day one to check them wires when you replaced the power steering hose. But hey, what do I know. ?

• 3 weeks later...

If you bring the RPMs up, does it kick back up to 13+ Volts? If it does, what rpms are at idle?
Or does it sit at 12.5V?
If the alternator checked out (I'm assuming you bench tested it), are you using the dash guage or a meter at the alternator on the truck?
I'd connect a DVOM meter (Fluke 87 or 88) to the battery terminal on the alternator and see what you get.
If it's still showing 12.5V output, then it is either the signal to the alternator (small plug on the alternator) or the regulator is having a short or problem.

If you are going by the dash gauge and it shows full voltage on the DVOM at the alternator, then your dash gauge may be going south.

One of the tiny wires to the alternator should be the signal wire.
I don't have a schematics handy right now to tell which one, but pretty sure it would be the same as a standard chevy truck (SS w/6.0L are new to me, so I'm guessing), but the signal wire charges/activates the regulator.