Factory Nav Unit with Backup converter

Ok, Still trying to figure out which route I want to go.... I looked and saw some OLD posts where folks added a non lux factory nav unit. I kind of like to use the factory parts even though its ancient technology.... main reason I want to add a rear camera. I like the idea of larger screen of nav. I found this gizmo that allows a input for camera. Anyone done anything like this? I know there used to be something similar offered by PAC but it's discontinued....

http://www.navtool.com/chevrolet_SUBURBAN_2005-2006.aspx

I still am thinking about this kit also but screen isn't that big....

http://www.cubbycam.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3_5_13&products_id=15

With the above kit I could keep my factory radio and 6 disk changer..... but its a bit pricey!

Decisions.... Decisions....

I added lux tnr and the lux amp. The screen was like you said old technology even in like 2010 when I did it, but that lux amp made my stereo sound 50X better.

Hmm something to think about.... so did you program yourself or did you take to the dealer? Is it a simple plug n play? Lux Head unit and Lux amp? I saw amp is around 275ish on Rock Auto.....

I got an amp from a salvage yard for about 120. All you have to do is repin about 11 or 12 wires on the amp harness, but I promise it is worth it. I only did it bc I had bought a LUX screen, and thought no way is this gonna sound better with the same old paper a$$ bose speakers, but it def had more bass and I could crank it louder where it would start to distort before. Nice little upgrade. There is a huge write up on the diesel forum. More than you would ever need to know plus step by step how to's.

Oh, btw, while you're doing it spring for the $60 GPS antenna from gmpd. Might as well do it since you'll have the ability to use it then imo.

Do you remember was there a reprogram necessary? Once you changed pins it was just plug n play? I saw something about how you need to program to cabin size or something.

Good idea on used.... something to consider if I decide to go that route.

No I don't think there is a way to reprogram. I bought one at first from a sierra denali since it was the same configuration as an SS, but it ended up not working. The only other one they had in stock was from an Escalade (smaller one like a tahoe). I was skeptical at first since it has a couple more speakers, but took it as exchange anyways. It sounded amazing and didn't end up having any type of issue. The only reprogramming I needed was the obvious VIN program in the head unit since I bought used. I think I had about 5 or 6 hundred into the whole thing.

No I don't think there is a way to reprogram. I bought one at first from a sierra denali since it was the same configuration as an SS, but it ended up not working. The only other one they had in stock was from an Escalade (smaller one like a tahoe). I was skeptical at first since it has a couple more speakers, but took it as exchange anyways. It sounded amazing and didn't end up having any type of issue. The only reprogramming I needed was the obvious VIN program in the head unit since I bought used. I think I had about 5 or 6 hundred into the whole thing.

Good info. Does it show a Cadillac logo when you turn unit on or does it show the bowtie

No, that all goes by your VIN. If you have a chevrolet vin, it shows a bowtie and says "sound by bose". If you have a gmc it says "gmc" big in red with bose, and if it's caddy vin it shows the crest. Pretty damn cool imo. I actually am on the hunt for a non lux/non bose tnr to install in my clone. I love factory stuff, and a big plus if no one wants the stock unit anymore which is less a chance of getting a window busted out for it lol.

Yeah don't be afraid to get a used one as long as they give you a warranty, and don't worry even if it's for a tahoe sized truck.

What is a LUX head unit and a LUX amp, sorry I'm not a stereo guy.

Luxury... it was in high end GMT 800's Think Denali and Escalades.... basically a better amp. The Head unit did not included a amp. So if you buy a LUX unit you HAVE to have the amp otherwise no sound. The Non Lux had an amp built in and some like our trucks have a separate amp under center console....

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

No, that all goes by your VIN. If you have a chevrolet vin, it shows a bowtie and says "sound by bose". If you have a gmc it says "gmc" big in red with bose, and if it's caddy vin it shows the crest. Pretty damn cool imo. I actually am on the hunt for a non lux/non bose tnr to install in my clone. I love factory stuff, and a big plus if no one wants the stock unit anymore which is less a chance of getting a window busted out for it lol.

Yeah don't be afraid to get a used one as long as they give you a warranty, and don't worry even if it's for a tahoe sized truck.

Cool good to know... it would have been a deal breaker if I would have had to have a non matching logo on the screen lol. I have my own tech 2 so I can so some simple stuff but I no longer have access to special programing.... I would have to goto a dealer. That and GM changed programing... its now called global and uses a wireless box vs the old way via tech 2.

Funny we think alike... I figured someone would be like I don't want that POS factory system..... hahaha

Edited by EXGM (see edit history)

So I could use the LUX head unit and my factory amp together or would it be easier to buy a aftermarket new head unit?

My head unit acts weird sometimes and doesn't read the CD's in the player at times. Other than that the factory head unit is ok I just wish I could use radio to make calls with my Iphone.

Cool good to know... it would have been a deal breaker if I would have had to have a non matching logo on the screen lol. I have my own tech 2 so I can so some simple stuff but I no longer have access to special programing.... I would have to goto a dealer. That and GM changed programing... its now called global and uses a wireless box vs the old way via tech 2.

Funny we think alike... I figured someone would be like I don't want that POS factory system..... hahaha

Yeah, I don't think there are many that would choose it over a new style head unit with TONS more features and abilities lol.

So I could use the LUX head unit and my factory amp together or would it be easier to buy a aftermarket new head unit?

My head unit acts weird sometimes and doesn't read the CD's in the player at times. Other than that the factory head unit is ok I just wish I could use radio to make calls with my Iphone.

No you would need the lux amp. You could use a touch screen nav that is for bose premium which is the factory bose system in the SS if you didn't want to go through with the amp swap and harness repin. It def would be nice to have Bluetooth, too bad that tech is about 5 years newer......which is about 5 years old at this point lol.