Truck on the way!

Orion231

Ok guys, Ron is going to place my order for my new 2005 Silverado SS (Black, loaded with a sunroof!) and I want to know the low down... the 411 on the accessories... Here's what I want.

ARE - Painted to match Bed Cover...

K&N- Open Air Filter or Cold Air Kit

Interior Goodies (What do you guys reccomend to clean and condition the leather)

Exterior Goodies (I hand wash my vehicles, need reccomendations for the new paint and best wax to grab)

Anything else you guys can think of, anywhere from mods to looks, lemme know. Another thing I will eventually look at is exhaust. Also, I run Valvoline VR1 Racing (20w50) in my Grand National, what are you guys running for oils in the south? I was thinking something lower than that because of a NA engine. Turbo chargers require heavier oils if you run them alot. I don't like synthetic oils, I change oil very frequently and in my experience synthetic oils they are nice, but CAN be a waste of money.

Any free mods on this truck? Thermostat, emissions, any needless junk? I will try and get the service manuals from a buddy I used to work with at a Chevy Dealer. Service manuals can be the key to knowing and understanding PCM operation, and things you can fiddle with... hehe.

Future mods, eventually after a year or so I will try and do some research and either purchase of build a turbo kit for this 6 Litre V8. Not going to go all out, I just love turbos. So if you guys have any resident experts on these trucks lemme know. Looking at around 15-20 PSI, with intercooler and possibly an alcohol injection kit for detonation purposes... I'm real excited about getting the truck when I redeploy back home.

Any help is very much appreciated! :driving:

15-20 lbs of boost may be a little much for the stock rods/pistons. It may hold together for a few runs like that, but wouldn't want to try it very often. I would shoot for 12-13 or under. That should be okay for occassional use, 10-12 for everyday use. IMO.

Oh yes, I wouldn't dare slam one of these engines with that much boost without going through it. A stock GN motor will handle 20 PSI boost with stock pistons/rods/cam/etc. But the engine itself was designed for a turbocharger. I would assume, with these things... injectors, pcm mod, headers, forged pistons, reinforced/girdled bottom end, and maybe some head work. That's alot of work, but I could do everything in my garage minus machine work. I just threw the turbo idea out there because I have already started thinking about it.

Other than that... any ideas or suggestions on the other stuff?

ARE?? :puke:   GO GAYLORD OR GO HOME!!

K&N =  :thumbs:

INTERIOR = ZAINO

EXTERIOR = ZAINO

I personally would do a SC instead of turbo...but i live in a colder climate. :D

BTW ...welcome!! :thumbs:

I guess I should ask this before I order mine....

What is wrong with the A.R.E.?

(I just wish there was a Gaylords dealer closer that 125 miles away from me so I could compare the two)

Its just personal opinion. I have done a lot of research and the one i liked the best was the Gaylord x2000. The only reason i never bought one was because it takes like 6 weeks after you order it for you to recieve it. I liked the carpeted underside option and the speedstur wing option. Im not against any covers, i just prefer a gaylord. They fit over the factory spoiler...and with the low profile and speedstur spoiler, it almost looks like a factory option for the ss.

"The Lifetime Guaranteed X-2000 hinge unit has no peers. This stainless steel scissor hinge has a sturdy, yet silky smooth feel and mounts in minutes. With this hinge, you don't drill holes in your bed...just clamp it on! The gas struts are also heavy duty and covered by a 2 year warranty along with the locks, seals & carpeted headliner."Gaylords_03_CK_Zoom_Wing_Lid.jpg

Ok I am hooked...thanks man. 6 weeks huh? Well if I order it now, it will be ready when Ron drop ships my new SS! :cool: So it has a complete carpet kit that you can get with it? Hmmm...I had planned Line X but that is why I am asking you guys. I don't want to drill into the bed, and the spoiler looks really good as well. So my next question is... what website can I place an order for this? I love having money! :flag: Thanks for the help guys! This bed cover looks really nice. And the spoiler looks even better!

The only difference then between the two is the spoiler. On the A.R.E. you can get the carpet as an option (which I am going to get). I am leaving right now to get mine ordered.

P.S. Orion 231 - before you go and get the bed sprayed, look into a bed rug (do a search on here, it has been mentioned MANY times before (I LOVE mine, and it will look good with the carpeted cover) (one more thing - the dealer for A.R.E. told me that my cover would be in within 1 to 2 weeks).

well boys I didnt have enough money for the gaylord. I asked a friend to see if he could get it cheaper through my boss but it was 1,400.00 painted. I didnt have the $. So I went with the covermaster e-300. it looks cool. It was only 944.00 painted ,but thats all i could afford

Archived