supercharger or turbo?

tommay248

Wanted to pop in a question here quickly. If you were considering the Vortech along with the Radix SC and the STS Turbo, why not the Procharger? The only reason I ask is because it's similar to the Vortech so ...

I'll do a search later but since we're on the subject for the most part, does anyone have anything good/bad to say about the ATI Procharger for the 6.0?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ATI's also make good kits. It's another centrifugal, so my same feelings would apply to it as the vortech for these trucks. I believe there are a couple of SSS owners running ATI kits.

I seem to remember some initial problems, but that they were resolved. Zippy or Ben might remember who the owners were.

hey, just having some fun with you and ben anyway berserker. everybody has their rough days, but i'm not done giving you s**t about not getting me the times i wanted. i also posted that i wanted you to prove me incorrect a while ago. i want to see your truck be one of the fastest on the site of course. now, if all goes well you can really show off with that 408 if you and ben show up to the meet up here. it's about the same distance ben drove to kansas, except better tracks and much better racing weather. you guys keep me smiling. :thumbs:

oh yeah, on the ati kits, there are a few out there. to get the ati kit to work the way you'd really be happy with it, it's also going to need some work. it will work fine as a bolt in, but leaves much room for improvement. :( my saying on ATI: "it's not really a kit, more of a system, or at least one fine head unit. one thing's for sure, the head unit's top notch. "

Uh-oh I'm confused. Once I get this truck I was gonna throw a blower on it and the Procharger is what I was planning on because it doesn't require tapping the oil pan and it has a warranty - plus it's CARB EO.

-------------------------------

I should probably add that I wouldn't be installing it; so if it's a high-difficulty then what do I care :D Heh but does anyone know how much a speed-shop or a dealership MIGHT charge? Just talkin ballpark here, I know every place is different.

For mine and Erik's setup, the ATI P1SC or D1SC would not work. Not for our boost goals anyway. A F-1 or F-1R would have to be used, but would require some fabbing to make it work with a truck. I was all set to go with the F-1, but didn't like getting into the inknow on what I had to "make" work.

For the base STS kit, it's actually a little easier to do a STS install. Radix is easy. I haven't done my STS install yet, but it looks really easy. So, for this purpose we'll say install is about the same. If you are installing the base kit, no more tuning is necessary if you get Nelson's tune. Your done. No more work, ready to go to the track. THE ONLY people that may constantly work on tuning the STS is those that are not satisfied and want even more. That is no different than a Radix, ATI, or any other kit out there, including the Detroit kit though. So, I don't see much difference in any of the kits in the amount of work - once you try to go beyond what you started with.

So recommending a Radix or STS? I'd say they are both easy to install and probably give very close results.

Uh-oh I'm confused.  Once I get this truck I was gonna throw a blower on it and the Procharger is what I was planning on because it doesn't require tapping the oil pan and it has a warranty - plus it's CARB EO.

-------------------------------

I should probably add that I wouldn't be installing it; so if it's a high-difficulty then what do I care  :D Heh but does anyone know how much a speed-shop or a dealership MIGHT charge?  Just talkin ballpark here, I know every place is different.

STS does not require tapping the oil pan either. What you do is tap into the oil feed block that the lines to the oil cooler go through. Slightly different.

You know I just thought of something. If I did get the intercooled Procharger, the intercooler would probably be located in the lower grille right? I think that would make sense. Would I have a problem with adding the '05 type electric fans in the bay that has the intercooled-SC?

You know I just thought of something.  If I did get the intercooled Procharger, the intercooler would probably be located in the lower grille right?  I think that would make sense.  Would I have a problem with adding the '05 type electric fans in the bay that has the intercooled-SC?

Depends on where you mount the IC, but I don't think so.

You don't have to self tune the STS.  Allen Nelson is the official truck tuner for STS.  You can buy his tune and go, same as a Radix (although you have to weld for the STS install).

Aaron, I'd recommend the STS kit -- I think you'd love it :)

Oh yes, I know that I would love it :) It is just hard to spend more than 4k on something that isn't even paid off! :banghead::banghead: I say more than 4k, because I would definately get the T-67 like you had, as well as meth injection. Someday in the future I am actually planning on the STS kit, but I think for now I am just going to do things that will help me anyway like a stall, and a small cam :)

Archived