ls6 cam

yeary03SS

Im not sure how many people use the z06 cam in the 6.0 but i imagine it would work ok. I know its a popular cam in the 5.3 and people are getting about 20-30hp with it. Of course, the cam would act slightly larger in the 5.3. Most on here tend to go a little bigger but its really up to personal preference. A friend of mine just bought a 212/218 522/529 114 for his 5.3. It is a very popular cam and is proven for the 5.3s, i also think that some on here have used the same cam with good success. Both of these cams can be used without a tq converter i believe and even run on the stock tune. With either one of these cams it would be a good idea to upgrade to at least the z06 springs(thats what my friend is doing). My brother is installing a cam in his SS this winter and its 218/222 with the intake and exhaust somewhere in the 560's on 113. He will also be using a 3000 stall, so low end isnt that big of an issue.

Stock springs would NOT be ok with that cam, but the z06 springs aren't expensive. I am actually planning on going with the 2001 z06 cam specs are :

Part # 12560950

separation 116 deg

lift (exh/inl) .525/.525"

duration @ .050"(int/exh) 207/217

The 2002-up Z06 cam that you are thinking about using is a good cam, and will give you a decent amount more power up top, but I hear that it looses some down low power, and I have been told that the 01 cam won't loose the power down low, and gives only slightly smaller gains up top. Just something to think about. If you aren't worried about stealth or warranty I would probably go with the 212/218 that was suggested, but I don't want anyone to know when I have it in there. I am doing a TB stall anyway so I might be better off with a 02-up cam, but I still haven't decided because I think that I need to still do a bit more research. Good luck deciding

Aaron

I am running a similar cam, the LPE GT2-3 in my truck. It specs at 207/220-.571/.578-118.5CL. I am using it with a Radix but I can tell you it idles like stock and gives you good low-end punch. No need for a bigger stall. I would expect the LS6 cam to perform much the same.

As already mentioned I would change to the Z06 springs or some Comp 918's for cheap insurance. Also consider swapping in some hardened pushrods while you are at it, especially if you are considering raising your rev limiter after the install. Hope this helps. :chevy:

SSLink,

Have you had many problems? How is the quarter mile time?

No issues as yet at just under 1K miles. Nice idle, no codes, good torque off-boost, stoplight to stoplight, cruising at highway speeds in 4. No times yet I'm afraid, but I will keep you posted. :seeya:

Archived