Proud of the Pops

TimC3

Was riding with my dad today on the interstate in his '99 BMW M Roadster. He's cruising at 75 in the left lane and comes up on a Dodge Magnum. There was no one else around, this guy was just putting around at 65 in the fast lane... So my dad changes lanes and passes him in the right lane, and the Magnum gets in behind him.. About 10 seconds later, the Magnum comes flying up behind him and switches back into the left lane beside Dad... We look over and it's a couple of young kids, definately looking to run.... we knew because they just floored it when we looked over. So my dad hammers it into third (at 75ish) and keeps it down until 110 or so.. (about a car ahead).. shifts into 4th, then 5th and doesn't let off until 140MPH (the Magnum was pretty small in the rear window by then..) I'm pretty sure they let off, but it was still really cool to put that HEMI in it's place...

Keep in mind that this is the 99 model, with 240 HP stock.. The '01 got a slight bump in HP, to 315! I'm gonna have to convince him on the supercharger route to make up that difference... Any SS owners out that also own a Beemer?

Nate, I've been talking to him about some basic mods.. He even said that he'd go for a supercharger if the extra ponies would be worth the price... Did you have any mods on your '01? CAI, exhaust, chip? What brands are good?

My M3 was stock.... why? Cause it's expensive to do just about anything but a drop in K and N (i had that) Intake was $1000, no kidding. It's been a while since i have been on the bmw forums, and i don't really remmeber all the mod places to be honest.... Dinan has some stuff, and they are licensed by bmw.... there are a bunch of others, best thing to do would to be to find the m3 forums, they have a m roadster section they could help you out. Supercharger on it would be sweet, but anything like that would cost big $$ (16,000 basic kit for a reputable one for the m3) There is some good power to be had in the exhaust however (full systems... headers too) and intakes if you get the right one. The chips, for the m3 anyway didn't do much for power, but they remapped the throttle curve and made the car allot more fun to drive. If i think of anything else i'll post it up. oo come to think of it.. that engine is the same one that was in the 99 m3's right? Allot of guys were putting turbos (relativly inexpensivly) in them and making them very quick, might want to look into that.

Nate

Dayum... didn't realize that the basics were that expensive... I went on a couple of of the BMW forums and read up on a few of the supercharger mods.. I think one guy got his done for 8K? Oh well.. Might just have to start with the K&N and have him start saving $$$ !!! Thanks Nate.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

On that car a supersprint exaust system can add quite abit of power with computer tuning. Another popular modification that does not cost that much on that car is a little more agressive cam to go with the increased breathing if you do an exaust system. People have seen an extra 30-50 or more HP from these mods at the wheels!

Check out

WWW.Renn-Art.com

I do the audio installs for them and they do some good work with Porsche, BMW and Audi

I had a 98 M-roadster, That car was a ton of fun. I did some Dinan upgrades on mine. The supercharger makes it a wicked little car but it is pricey.

I actually still have a Dinan strut tower brace for the car it was on mine about 3 months. Let me know if your intrested in it.

Archived