All you who built custom sub boxes...

fox_forma

Well my box for my two 12's is complete and i need to get this thing carpeted. I purchased some speaker carpet off ebay but the stuff was crap. It was basically felt<----(spelling) It had a tendency to stretch then once cut shrink back to normal and it never lined up. On top of that when you would try to cut it with a razor the stuff freyed. Very unsmooth cuts on this carpet. So anyone who has carpeted a box what did you use for the carpet and how did you go about doing it without seeing the lines? I have a spare box from my old truck and the carpeting on that looks a lot stiffer and easier to cut in a straight line, and actually looks like carpet, like the stuff you see in frat houses where you can spill anything on them and it will come off because it doesn't have anything to really soak into. Where can i get the carpet for my box and what should I use for adhesive. Any tricks to carpeting a box i should know about also? Hope someone can help

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my box for my two 12's is complete and i need to get this thing carpeted.  I purchased some speaker carpet off ebay but the stuff was crap.  It was basically felt<----(spelling)  It had a tendency to stretch then once cut shrink back to normal and it never lined up.  On top of that when you would try to cut it with a razor the stuff freyed.  Very unsmooth cuts on this carpet.  So anyone who has carpeted a box what did you use for the carpet and how did you go about doing it without seeing the lines?  I have a spare box from my old truck and the carpeting on that looks a lot stiffer and easier to cut in a straight line, and actually looks like carpet, like the stuff you see in frat houses where you can spill anything on them and it will come off because it doesn't have anything to really soak into.  Where can i get the carpet for my box and what should I use for adhesive.  Any tricks to carpeting a box i should know about also?  Hope someone can help

I could probably get you some carpet. See carpet: 161049.jpg

I used this carpet for my amp mounting board and I plan to use it to cover some of my box. I got the box off eBay and the color isn't close enough for me so I'm going to carpet part of my box(visible area) so it blends in better with the interior. Let me know if your interested and I'll check on the price. :cheers:

Does that stuff frey or is that like the heavy duty carpet i was talkin about? The main thing i need something that is easy to cut because I have a few lines on my box which makes me have to carpet it in seperate sections. I would be interested just let me know how much $$$$'s Where did you get the carpeting from for the amp rack?

Does that stuff frey or is that like the heavy duty carpet i was talkin about?  The main thing i need something that is easy to cut because I have a few lines on my box which makes me have to carpet it in seperate sections.  I would be interested just let me know how much $$$$'s Where did you get the carpeting from for the amp rack?

It might not be the heavy duty stuff you're looking for. I don't think it freyed any. I get this from a distributor I sell for. I really only use them when I want to get some audio stuff for my truck. I'll check on the price and specs. They have different types of carpet I can check on.

good stuff, This is the speaker carpet I was talking about.... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5751488572&rd=1

Gonna try it out to see, color is off but oh well, i really dont mind to much

As for going to a stereo shop i tried that and their price was rediculous, I'd rather do trial and error and pay less for my own mistake. They wanted $40 for the carpet and if I wanted them to instal it, that would of been another $50. For $90 I'm sure i can buy enough carpet and figure it out before I get close to that price.

Well my box for my two 12's is complete and i need to get this thing carpeted.  I purchased some speaker carpet off ebay but the stuff was crap.  It was basically felt<----(spelling)  It had a tendency to stretch then once cut shrink back to normal and it never lined up.  On top of that when you would try to cut it with a razor the stuff freyed.  Very unsmooth cuts on this carpet.  So anyone who has carpeted a box what did you use for the carpet and how did you go about doing it without seeing the lines?  I have a spare box from my old truck and the carpeting on that looks a lot stiffer and easier to cut in a straight line, and actually looks like carpet, like the stuff you see in frat houses where you can spill anything on them and it will come off because it doesn't have anything to really soak into.  Where can i get the carpet for my box and what should I use for adhesive.  Any tricks to carpeting a box i should know about also?  Hope someone can help

I've built a couple of boxes before... my dad has a construction business and 3M makes a spray adhesive... it's called High strength 90. We used it for making custom countertops and its great for sub boxes. You spray both the MDF and the back of the carpet, and let it get almost dry. Once the two meet, you'll NEVER get it off. Hope that helps! Chad Oh yeah, you can purchase the stuff at any lowes or menards.

FIBERGLASS!!!!!! :D

Looks way better too. More work though.

The box is already done, just needs carpet, there a fabric store near my house i'm going to check out tomorrow, my buddy got his box covering from them and its real nice, and has a smooth surface on the bottom and not just all fabric so it was easy to line up and stick to the wood. So i guess i'll have to see what happens

FIBERGLASS!!!!!! :D

Looks way better too. More work though.

The box is already done, just needs carpet, there a fabric store near my house i'm going to check out tomorrow, my buddy got his box covering from them and its real nice, and has a smooth surface on the bottom and not just all fabric so it was easy to line up and stick to the wood. So i guess i'll have to see what happens

Try to get a good match to your interior carpet. I'm using my carpet to cover my sub box. I can't stand that stupid gray crap color. I got 5 linear yards from my distributor for around $17. The color is a closer match than the sub box carpet. It will frey if you use a box cutter. Use scissors for a better cut. I'm covering my box tonight(just the visible part). The box will be under my back seat so no need to cover the whole thing. I'll post pics when I get it done. Good luck on your box. :cheers:

The main thing I am worried about it getting everything to line up good without showing any of the wood, thats why I was looking for more of a carpet type. Is there a way to get the lines to flow better together? Hopefully I can get a color that I can outline it well enough so i can make a perfect cut but that is doubtful.

I will be building a box this weekend for my truck. Any suggestions? Ideas? I heard a downfire is the way to go. I only have 1 12" Kicker Comp and thinking on buying a 200w Rockford to push it (I don't want serious bass, just a little). As for carpet, I heard that you ar not suppose to put it under where the sub screws down and that you are to have a gasket for under it (if using a sealed box). I also read that with carpet you are to use one peice. If you have a spare moment I'd love to see a pic of what you made.

Archived