All you who built custom sub boxes...

fox_forma

I will post a pic tomorrow of what I did, I have to sand it again because of the first carpet job i did and from ripping it off there is still some glue and fuzzy's stuck. I had a full diagram of the pieces I cut and everything if I can find them, if not I can draw them up for you. Tomorrow I will post the box .

As for the wood I used 3/4 MDF, I got the 4X8 piece which was $23, but if your doing only one sub you can get them in a 2X4 for like $8, and i made a amp rack on mine in the center section which is causing the problem with trying to get the carpet to line up correct. As for using one piece of carpet to do the box it is impossible i think because of all the lines. If you are goin to put your amp under the rear seat on the passenger side or whatever i can draw up what you need in about 2 sec then scan em and send them to ya.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will post a pic tomorrow of what I did, I have to sand it again because of the first carpet job i did and from ripping it off there is still some glue and fuzzy's stuck.  I had a full diagram of the pieces I cut and everything if I can find them, if not I can draw them up for you.  Tomorrow I will post the box . 

As for the wood I used 3/4 MDF, I got the 4X8 piece which was $23, but if your doing only one sub you can get them in a 2X4 for like $8, and i made a amp rack on mine in the center section which is causing the problem with trying to get the carpet to line up correct.  As for using one piece of carpet to do the box it is impossible i think because of all the lines.  If you are goin to put your amp under the rear seat  on the passenger side or whatever i can draw up what you need in about 2 sec then scan em and send them to ya.

Ya man, That would be awesome. I will be doing my box and install Saturday. What is an amp rack? Just some mounting system for the amp?

The main thing I am worried about it getting everything to line up good without showing any of the wood, thats why I was looking for more of a carpet type.  Is there a way to get the lines to flow better together?  Hopefully I can get a color that I can outline it well enough so i can make a perfect cut but that is doubtful.

Nothing but a good cut will help the pieces of carpet line up better. Spray adhesive is the way to go. Some work better than others. Just take your time and do it right. If you don't like something go back and try again. Make sure you're happy with the job or you'll be looking at the imperfections every time you look at the box. As for me, I'm just covering up the basic crap gray with a better color gray so I'm not covering the whole box. I did mine in a rush. The carpet looks better than the basic charcoal gray color all sub boxes come in but you can't tell it from the pics. It something you have to see. Weird but I'm happy with the new carpet.

If you are having trouble getting your seams to line up .... try a test fit first .... use some tape and get it laid out (or use a staple gun if you have some extreme corners and angles) and make sure your seams line up. Then apply some adheasive and do halves .... take it nice and slow....biggest tip i can give you is take it easy on the adheasive ... if you get it on the seams (sides on the visable surface) your seams will never disappear ... remember it is just for looks you don't have to get crazy with the glue. If you are really bad and lining up your seams ... try to "prime the box" first ... get some paint that is close and paint up where your carpet seam is going to be so that if it doesn't line up perfect at least the wood will be a similar color and not as noticable at MDF particle board showing through.

I'm no expert ... that is just what I would do .... taker easy.

I was in a rush and figured how hard could it be to really carpet the thing, well its hard so of course I messed it up. I have to re-sand everything again to get it to look normal and for the new adhesive to work. Also I went out and got a electric staple gun. Kinda funny cause the one I bought had the wrong tag on it and it was suppose to be $49 but i got it for $19 so maybe things will start to go my way and I will do a good carpet job this time. My one buddy works for a car audio place which i didn;t realized and he said he'll help me do it since hes done many before so I think i should be ok.

I will try to get some pics up soon hopefully but cant garuentee that.

03 ScreaminSS, Pm me your email and I will send the pics to you that way if you want, I dont have the time to set them up through a domain right now to post them on here

03 ScreaminSS, Pm me your email and I will send the pics to you that way if you want, I dont have the time to set them up through a domain right now to post them on here

It's cool, I just went out to the local audio store today and bought a prebuilt box. It ran $150 but it was build for the SS so it fits like a glove. Then I had to buy 2 10" subs for it so I picked up 2 Kicker Comps and a 1000w Rockford amp to push them with. Where did you mount your amp at? Mine couldn't go anywhere, so I mounted it on top of the box and the seat sits down on it and like forms around it. I hope it doesn't get to hot and burn up. It was a damn pain in the ass to get the right speaker wires(I used my stock deck so I had to use a RF Converter.) After I got that straightened out it worked out OK. It is a bit quite, I would expect 2 10s to beat good, especially with a 1000w Rockford pushing them. But, its all done. Next is my 03 Dodge Stratus RT. I am going to put in maybe 1 15" Solo Baric L7 or maybe 2 12s. That is a week or 2 away still.

A lot of people mounted the amp behind their seat since there seemed to be no room on top of the box. Do a search and you should see a lot of pics. That is why i built my own box so i could build the amp rack in the middle so I didn;t have to worry about it touchin the seat and burning it up. As for the adapter the popular one of choice seems to be the PAC AOEM GM24 i believe. It connect right into the factory amp and splits it like a Y so you dont lose any levels. There a ton of info on that also. $150 doesn't sound to bad especially coming from a audio shop. Hope you get them to knock, sounds like a good set up

I actually used that kind of carpet that you mentioned in your first post, and it worked PERFECTLY! My friend helped me carpet it, and we only used one piece of carpet to do the whole box, and it didn't leave any seams edges, etc. You just have to know how to use the carpet. The air powered staple gun that we used made things very easy too. Also we built a recessed amp rack into my box. Wasn't that hard to do. I will get you some pics if you like.

Aaron

IF you could post some pics, i would like to see. As for using one piece of carpet I dont know how I could do it without having to make cuts. The way my box is shaped it would make pieces overlap and look odd. I would like to see what your box looks like to see if its possible for mine. here is a pic of my box, it looks like crap because of the old carpet fuzzy's still on it but you should get the general idea....

resize.JPG

Just fiberglass cover it, sand it, and paint it.  I built my box...and now have spent more time and money trying to carpet it than its worth.

What do you mean by fiberglass cover it? Not to clear on that, wouldn't i have to worry about the paint rubbing off onto my carpet in the back?

This was stretched out of that backless carpet with no adhesive on it.

sub_box_2.jpg

Even on the amp-rack the carpet was able to stretch down at those angles and we just stapled it along the insides of the edges. No adhesive used here either, or anywhere on the box for that matter.

sub_box_1.jpg

Let me know if you want some more, or better pics. We just started at one side of the box, and stretched and smoothed over the whole box.

Aaron

Archived