All you who built custom sub boxes...

fox_forma

That first kind you mentioned sounded like the backless type of carpet.  You just stretch it into place and staple it where you want.  Then you cut it after it is stapled down.  I will get you some pics really soon.

Yeah thats basically what it was. What I did was is glue it down and waited for it to dry before i cut the edge but it just freyed and started getting ugly. My buddy is giving me some carpet so hopefully it will work out ok but I would def like to see pics.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No adhesive at all? Thats how I would like to do it but how is it that you dont see any of the staples? I have a staples gun(electric) that would work but it just seems like you would be able to see them very noticeably. If you can get it to stretch around those curves i should be able to do it to mine also i would imagine. How much carpet did you end up using would you guess?

And when you said you started at one end of the box and stretched it over, is that from side to side or front to back?

I need mine to turn out like that

I was trying to say im thinking of laying fiberglass over the wood then sanding it, then painting it. But i dont know how the fiberglass would hold up. If youre still not sure what im saying...you can get fiberglass in sheets (unhardened), almost like cloth, then there is an opoxy to put on it that hardens it.

looks like this

No adhesive at all?  Thats how I would like to do it but how is it that you dont see any of the staples?  I have a staples gun(electric) that would work but it just seems like you would be able to see them very noticeably.  If you can get it to stretch around those curves i should be able to do it to mine also i would imagine.  How much carpet did you end up using would you guess?

And when you said you started at one end of the box and stretched it over, is that from side to side or front to back?

I need mine to turn out like that

We used an air powered stapler, and the staples are thin enough that the fibers of the carpet cover them up. You have to feel for them if you want to find them. I will have to take some more pics in the next couple of days with a better camera if you would like to see them. Also ALL of the cuts on the fabric are underneath the box so it doesn't matter if it looks freyed there. I used one sheet of carpet probably about 7' by 5' or so and had a bit left over. Doesn't really take that much when it stretches.

Aaron

sounds good. I'm pickin up some more carpet tonight from my buddy. I dont know how much he got me but we'll see. I messed up and started with the bottom of the box first so this time i'll start with the top so I can leave the bottom for the cuts. I'll keep ya posted on this fiasco.

Everyone that has helped so far, thanks. I was suppose to get more carpet last night from my buddy but he never showed up for the poker game so i dont know when i will receive it. Everyone else who has carpeted their box, where did you get the carpet at. is there a local store or something i can grab some instead of ordering it and having to wait a week for it to show up?

The box is carpeted and looks good i think, the only thing was I used black carpet because i got tired of waiting for my buddy to get me carpet that would be a close match, it doesn;t bother me so i dont care. Anyway i actually got the carpet from Pepboys and it was $10 for a 3ft by 6 ft piece. I cover the whole box for the most part with the black but on the sides I used gray and i didn;t bother to fully carpet the bottom where the sub holes were. Here are some pics....

IMAG0070.JPG

IMAG0071.JPG

IMAG0072.JPG

I only used staples which turned out pretty good, i have to black sharpie a few of them that you can see but oh well.

Archived