GM Navigation and 6 CD Changer

yorgog

Looks very nice, how does the navigation system work? I know you use a CD but can you use the navigation and let's say listen to a CD at the same time? or do you have to put in the navigation cd everytime you need to find someplace? Thanks. :cheers:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The CD changer mounts in the large pocket in the lower dash. You have to cut it out. The harness is used to conect that unit to the Navigation unit. The Unit itself is capable of playing cd's but you will not be able to use the navigation. The head unit cannot play DVD's only the DVD for the navigation. I did see that someone had a mod to make it work but I have not seen one actually work. Also I heard that you can hook up a back up camara. I am looking into both of those possibilities. And yes the navigation does work. I had to buy the DVD disk from GM. i found one cheap on ebay for sale. The part number is at the top of the topic. Both of those part numbers for the CD changer are valid numbers I just think one is off an 03 and the other is off an 04. There are problably other good part numbers for it. This is a picture of the cd changer you are going to need. The picture of the one below is one I found on ebay. I unfortunatley have to send it back because it was damaged durring shipping. You can probably see the crack of the bezel on the lower right hand corner.

03-02-05_1232.jpg

The CD changer mounts in the large pocket in the lower dash. You have to cut it out. The harness is used to conect that unit to the Navigation unit. The Unit itself is capable of playing cd's but you will not be able to use the navigation. The head unit cannot play DVD's only the DVD for the navigation. I did see that someone had a mod to make it work but I have not seen one actually work. Also I heard that you can hook up a back up camara. I am looking into both of those possibilities. And yes the navigation does work. I had to buy the DVD disk from GM. i found one cheap on ebay for sale. The part number is at the top of the topic. Both of those part numbers for the CD changer are valid numbers I just think one is off an 03 and the other is off an 04. There are problably other good part numbers for it. This is a picture of the cd changer you are going to need. The picture of the one below is one I found on ebay. I unfortunatley have to send it back because it was damaged durring shipping. You can probably see the crack of the bezel on the lower right hand corner.

Thanks, so let me see if I have this right. I can keep the navigation DVD in the CD changer in lets say #1 and when I need it I just switch to it, and I can keep a music CD in let's say #2 & 3 and switch to it if I want to listen to a CD. My main concern is I do not want to keep putting in a navigation DVD everytime I need to find someplace.

One other thing, did you get the XM to work? sorry for all the questions but I really like your set up and before I start it I need to know what I am getting into. Thanks again.

No the DVD goes into the main head unit. The main unit is not a changer. You have to buy the small one I showed to you in the second picture. Then you can navigate and listen to cds at the same time. The navigation DVD stays in all the time in the main unit unless you want to take it out. The XM worked perfectly without me having to do anything. I already had XM in the truck before though. The only thing I had to do was take it to the dealer to have the Theftlock taken off the navigation unit after I Installed it. I will take a picture hopefully of the entire set up with the CD changer tommorrow if I have time to cut open the bottom pocket so I can mount it.

No the DVD goes into the main head unit. The main unit is not a changer. You have to buy the small one I showed to you in the second picture. Then you can navigate and <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=1&k=listen%20to%20cds" onmouseover="window.status='listen to cds'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">listen to cds</a> at the same time. The navigation DVD stays in all the time in the main unit unless you want to take it out. The XM worked perfectly without me having to do anything. I already had XM in the truck before though. The only thing I had to do was take it to the dealer to have the Theftlock taken off the navigation unit after I Installed it. I will take a picture hopefully of the entire set up with the CD changer tommorrow if I have time to cut open the bottom pocket so I can mount it.

Thanks again yorgog, very good info. I am going to purchase a navigation system and get this thing started, it is by far the best looking navigation system I have seen for the SS, nothing beats the "factory look" IMO. Did you have any problems at the dealer getting the Theftlock taken off? Thanks again I will post pics as well.

The dealer only charged me $70 to take the theftlock off. He didnt hassle me at all. The only reason I am cutting the stock bezel is for one it only cost $70 at the dealer for a new one if I go back and secondly I want the intereior to look like a silverado not an escalade or a denali. Those are the only two other bezels that come fit for the changer.

I used a hobby knife, 2 c-clamps, and a steel ruller. First I cut the pocket all but about an inch. I clamped down the ruler for a straight edge and used the knife to cut the trim. I meassured it and it was exactlly 3/16 to leave on the bezel. I hat to cut out the inside of the slide pocket though tho get the changer to fit.

That is a very nice setup, GOOD JOB! :thumbs:

I wounder if you could but the cd changer in the armrest if you wanted to. Do you know if this could be done? I was just thinking how that would be nice so that if you wanted to take the unit out at a latter time you would.

You definetly can add the GM changer in the center console. Same type connectors. I like having it in the dash. The lower dash bezel only cost $70 from the dealer so It wouldnt be that expensive to go back to stock

Archived