XM radio

I just got a letter from XM Radio and they are rasing there rates to 12.95 per month starting April 2 2005. I might just drop it. I think a 3 dollar increase per month is just too much. :nono:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got a letter from XM Radio and they are rasing there rates to 12.95 per month starting April 2 2005.  I might just drop it. I think a 3 dollar increase per month is just too much.  :nono:

Are you serious???? That' is too much of an increase... I mean, IMO it's not that the 3 dollars is that big of a deal. But what is going to happen the next month, or the month after that... are they going to keep raising prices? That sucks. I like XM but I don't like it THAT much.

If you sign up for a 1 year you can still get it for 9.99 a month.

This is off XM's site.

XM Expands Basic Service and Introduces New Pricing Effective April 2.

Existing & New Subscribers Offered Unique Opportunity to Lock-in Current Rates

Since the launch of XM — and particularly during 2004 and 2005 — XM has made dramatic improvements to its channel lineup. To provide you with the best listening experience, XM converted all music channels to 100% commercial-free while adding 50 new channels.

XM recently announced an agreement with Major League Baseball to provide play-by-play coverage for every team, all season long, beginning this spring. In addition, we've added nine sports channels dedicated to ACC, PAC-10, and Big Ten college football and basketball, traffic and weather channels covering the top 21 markets, XM Public Radio featuring legendary journalist Bob Edwards and all-new music channels including Starbuck's Hear Music channel. We've also created exclusive music series like Artist Confidential and Then...Again...Live.

Beginning April 2, 2005, we will expand the basic service package to include two premium services at no additional charge — the High Voltage channel (previously $1.99/month) and XM Radio Online (previously $3.99/month). The monthly subscription price for our new expanded basic service will increase to $12.95 beginning April 2, 2005. The price change will not affect XM's Family Plan, which allows you to add up to four additional subscriptions for $6.99/month per radio.

Until April 2, 2005, we are offering our existing subscribers an opportunity to lock in today's lower monthly rate by selecting a one-year or multi-year pre-paid subscription plan, which provides significant long-term savings.

Its true no bs I think XM radio is going to hurt themselves by this 3 dollar increase. I think more people will drop it then pay 38.85 plus taxes and fees per 3 months. I guess we will see :nonod:

I pay for 3 radios under the Family Plan. Bought 2 yrs of service in advance, so it will be mid 06 before I have to worry about this.

I love XM-totally addicted to it. If you've ever been out in the middle of the desert and heard whats available on the radio, youd be lookin for some kinda sat radio too I think. To me its like when cable tv first came out (it was good at the beginning, right? :) )

Sirius will increase their price to keep up with this at some point.

I was pretty bummed to hear about the price increase, because I only listen to a couple of chanels. If they had more alternative content I would pay-up no prob, but $13/mo just to listen to SquiZZ is a lot. If I am going to spend that I might just as well go back to actually buying new CDs!

Mr. P. :)

I pay for 3 radios under the Family Plan.  Bought 2 yrs of service in advance, so it will be mid 06 before I have to worry about this.

I love XM-totally addicted to it.  If you've ever been out in the middle of the desert and heard whats available on the radio, youd be lookin for some kinda sat radio too I think.  To me its like when cable tv first came out (it was good at the beginning, right? :) )

Sirius will increase their price to keep up with this at some point.

From what i've heard Sirius is already about $13 a month but they allow you to listen for free on the net! I also pay for 3 recievers with XM and have locked in on the lower rate!

there starting to sound like our cable co. thay give you something that not all the people

want, but you have to pay for it anyway, then the rates go up and thay say pay up sun shine and bend over, until we up the price again :banghead::shakehead::icon_bs:

:seeya:

The reason for the price increase is because of customer "churne"... basically people are bouncing back and forth between Sirius and XM so quickly that neither company has an opprotunity to turn a profit from them. By offering lower rates for a commitment to at least a year the company can start to gauge potential income and expand their services accordingly... Sirius will be doing the same thing in the next few months to get more of their customers on contract.

I know this b/c my company does national fulfillment installation for both services.

Because w/o a contract neither company has any idea what their projected revenue will be, they have been gunshy about getting new product/services to market... now that they can start to generate projected $$$ figures they will start to expand into all sorts of new features and services... so in essence... the 'rate hike' is a good thing.

Man, I love XM! can't stand listening to FM radio any more, :banghead: but a three dollar rise? :banghead: i dont understand, they are going to push people now to sirus, I have two vehicals which has XM, dont know if it would be worth it now along with the fuel going up also! :banghead:

Sorry, had to vent!

Archived