Suggestions please

2003SilvSS

I was running a little bit late for work this morning and was driving quite a bit faster than normal. A deputy sheriff was hiding up on an embankment to where I couldn't see him and he clocked me doing 86 in a 65. The reason I am concerned is because I was going to try to get on my own insurance policy in october. The lady at the insurance shop said my record would be clean in october because it will be 3 years since the wreck I had. The ticket is 160$ - 99$ for the fine and 60$ for the court cost.

My options are:

1. Plead no contest and pay the ticket

2. Apply for a diversion, pay probably 250$ and be on probation for 6 months

But with choice #2 it won't go on my record. Any advice would be appreciated.

Brian

Do you know if your state has probation before judgment? The time I got a speeding ticket I pleaded guilty and the judge gave me a PBJ. All I had to do was pay court costs which was significantly less than the ticket. I think I was going 15-20mph over the speed limit. I do not know how many times a PBJ can be given out and also it all depends on the judge. Luckily that day the judge was being nice. I have seen him be a complete butt in court. Anyways-I think if you want your own insurance policy I would go for number 2. It is better to pay than have something on your record!

I called the county attorney office and asked about getting a diversion. She said that he will not approve a speeding ticket over 80mph in a 65. I'm stuck with it. My record is pretty good right now, I haven't had a ticket in 2 or 3 years. Will this effect my insurance very much? Right now I am still listed under my parents policy. I was going to get my own policy in Oct, but dunno about that now. I might stay on there for a while longer and just pay the 558$ every 6 months.

Brian

Should I go to the court appearance and fight this? 86 in a 65, I can't deny it and I don't really have a good excuse. Any suggestions? If I go to the court appearance and ask for a reduced sentence, can I base that on anything? This blows.

Do you know if your state has probation before judgment? The time I got a speeding ticket I pleaded guilty and the judge gave me a PBJ.  All I had to do was pay court costs which was significantly less than the ticket.  I think I was going 15-20mph over the speed limit.  I do not know how many times a PBJ can be given out and also it all depends on the judge.  Luckily that day the judge was being nice.  I have seen him be a complete butt in court.  Anyways-I think if you want your own insurance policy I would go for number 2.  It is better to pay than have something on your record!

I heard about that when I lived in Gaithersburg, but haven't heard of any other state doing that...

As for the ticket, I would appear in court, admit that you were speeding and politely explain that you were running late to work and that it will never happen again. Hopefully the judge will be lenient and allow you to have a diversion or traffic school, or whatever method there may be that it won't show up on your record. Worked for me in CA with a 92 in a 65.

I agree w/ justin. Appearing is better than just paying. At least there is a possible chance the judge will be nice. At least you are making an effort. Then again the judge might have a bad day. I see it all the time...judges can be so nice, but a butt head the next. You can always call a local attorney and ask what is your best option. Some attorneys will do an initial consultation for free. I know the attorney I work for will assess someone's situation, tell them what he or she should do and then recommend if they need an attorney or not.

I would call a lawyer that deals with tickets and ask him about options. I got one for 96 in a 35 a few years back in San Antonio. I was exiting the freeway and the exit ramp is a 35 zone. Anyway the ticket was going to be 400+, I got a lawyer he got me differed adjudication where I was on probation for a few months. His fee and the ticket fee's were less than the original ticket was going to cost. And nothing went on my record.

I called my lawyer and asked if he can do anything for me. He said he can take my money and represent me, but he'd basically be stealing from me. The county prosecutor will not allow anything over 80 to be fixed. So, looks like I'm kind of screwed. I might as well go to the court date and see if I can ask for leneiency (SP?) and just pay for the stupid ticket then. Until then, I will keep it no more than 70 mph in a 65.

Brian

If anyone has any other ideas, please feel free to make suggestions.

Is there any chance you can go to traffic school? I know that in Arizona if you haven't had a ticket in the past 2 yrs you can go to school for a ticket, no points on your licence, and the courts dismiss the charges as if they never happened. I used this in 1999 when I got a ticket traveling from St Lewis to Nashville, a little 14 mile stretch through Kentucky got me a 120 in a 65.... The state of Kentucky was agreeable enough to let me take traffic school in Arizona, and not charge me with criminal speeding, provided I pay the $400.00 ticket, No points were placed on my licence and I guess I just lucked out!

id be careful in corut, once i got pulled for 81 in a 60 n got a 280 when all was said and done, but i got 90 in a 60 before the 81 and the judge gae me more than if i would have just signed the ticket, if the judge wants, he can make u pay more than the ticket costs.... i had my licence suspended for imporoper lane change....( but i had 3 tickets in 1 year)

I called the Kansas Department of Motor Vehicles and talked to them. I asked what was on my record as of now and they said 1 ticket. Passing with Insufficient Clearance. That was almost 3 years ago, so it should fall off my record in the next couple of months.

I will only have this speeding ticket on my record, but it will say 86 in a 65.

I think I'm just going to swallow the ticket, pay the fine and go on with the insurance I have right now. 558 every 6 months isn't too bad. As long as I behave and don't get any more tickets, it'll be off of my record in 3 long long years. Not cool... but oh well, live and learn to drive the speed limit.

Brian

I would call a lawyer that deals with tickets and ask him about options. I got one for 96 in a 35 a few years back in San Antonio. I was exiting the freeway and the exit ramp is a 35 zone. Anyway the ticket was going to be 400+, I got a lawyer he got me differed adjudication where I was on probation for a few months. His fee and the ticket fee's were less than the original ticket was going to cost. And nothing went on my record.

:withstupid: happened with me too

If your state is like mine, it is the judge who decides who gets the leniency, not the prosecutor, the prosecutor only makes a recommendation. I've seen the judge not take the prosecutors recommendation many times in my 30 years of law enforcement, and give a much reduced penalty. It wouldn't hurt to go to court and talk to the judge.

Good Luck!

first let me say this, and please DO NOT take offence,

i do not know how old you are, my guess 21 or younger? i do not know what you are like

as a person, do you look and dress and act like an young adult, or one of those want to be d*** bags with there hat on wrong and there paints down around the crack of there ass thinking there mr. bad ass? ( i don't think you are ).

go to court and face the judge, and when you do look sharp, jacket and tie, shoes, the hole nine yards. make a good impression on him that you are a good out standing young man, and explain your case. first impressions are the most inportent and more then likely the judge will go easy on you, but it still a crap shoot on what he decides to do.

if you see a lawer first see what can be done about getting out of it getting on your rates increased and pay the extra fees so it won't . eather way you are going to have to owe up to the fact that you broke the law, and i think you will... :thumbs:

GOOD LUCK. !!!

:seeya:

Archived