Another stupid question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Zaino for me too, Falcon. As a matter of fact, I just put two coats on this afternoon and will put a third (and last) coat on tomorrow morning. It's amazing stuff. The only wax in the world that I am aware of that gets better with additional coats (up to five).

I think I have tried everything on the market (except Zaino...at the moment). I got hooked on Eagle 1 wet look with wax. I was doing the 3 step Maguires including the clay bar but it is an entire day's work and alot of hand cramping. The outcome was great but IMO not woth the effort. The Eagle 1 wet look with wax took care of the hard water spots and swirls in one coat which made me switch. The Maguires 3 step lasted longer but I was able to enjoy my shiny truck on Saturday afternoon rather than on Sunday. I am going to try the Zaino stuff soon...although I think I am not going to like doing it 3 times to get the desired gloss.

I use Zaino on my Corvette and really like the result's. I plan on using it on the truck in the near future. Hey Lee, the drink's are on me if you come on up here to Oregon and throw 3 coat's on mine for me! :D:cheers:

Zaino for me too, Falcon. As a matter of fact, I just put two coats on this afternoon and will put a third (and last) coat on tomorrow morning. It's amazing stuff. The only wax in the world that I am aware of that gets better with additional coats (up to five).

Lee, do it all by hand, or do you have a buffer?

Ooooooooooh, my God......does my back hurt. :uhoh::cry: ........and my feet and my wrist, and my hair and.......I'm an old guy now. I can't do this kind of work anymore. I needed help. Dale, you should have come down here and done the second and third coats for me.

Anyway, washed it twice yesterday w/ Dawn to make damn sure all the old wax was off. Then applied two coats of Z-2 (with ZFZ to speed curing). This morning I did third and final coat. I would not have even considered that many coats but my understanding is that once you get a good base coat on you never have to do that again. From now on it's just one coat if you keep up with it regularly. This stuff is supposed to last a LONG time. That was one of the big selling points. You only need to wax it twice a year. And those are real numbers not marketing hype. Here in AZ it rarely rains and the winter temps are a mild 72 degrees for eight months a year. So, that means that the wax should last a long time because we don't have harsh winters, salt on the roads etc. (he said on one knee praying to the wax gods). Let's hope so as I AM NOT going to wax this thing three times every time it needs wax. :crazy:

Bottom line - this is my first experience w/ Zaino. It really does look great. VERY wet looking and glassy smooth almost slippery. Obviously that's want you want in a good wax. One thing I learned is that the gloss enhancer (Z-6) is a MAJOR final step. The truck looked very good when I finished but considering the amount of work I put in I didn't think it looked THAT good. Then I did the Z-6. HUGE improvement. The Z-6 is supposed to also be used regularly to keep up the shine and make the wax last longer. Do it. That stuff is fantastic.

One thing to note. Every article I have read said that this stuff is to be used VERY sparingly. That was the hardest part for me. To get used to spreading it VERY thin and not glop it on like most reg. car waxes. . It almost seemed like I wasn't putting any on. The directions were right though. They said an once will do an entire car. That seemed impossible when I read it but sure enough, it was about an once and a half as the truck is bigger than a car but it came out almost perfectly. I mixed 11/2 onces and ran out as I was doing the last wheel.

Footnote: Dale - June 11th, 2003. I'd be happy to come up there an help you, bro. I just LOVED waxing a big truck three f****** times. Tell you what, buddy. Just get yourself a tall one, go out on the back patio and take a deep breath. When you hear my SS pull in the driveway you can breath again. :jester::cheers:

Edit: Ben, I did it by hand. I looked into buffers. Good random orbital buffers cost around $150. The thing with Zaino is that rubbing it off after each coat is the easy part. It's putting it on very thin and doing it in a front to rear motion (not circular) is the tedious part.

:lol::lol::lol: Lee, I felt about the same way your feeling after doing the Zaino on my Corvette. It's about a third of the size of our truck's. I'm an old guy(51 going on 88) so it will probably take me a week to do 1 coat on mine. So I'm to hold my breath and wait! :D No can do, just breathing is a problem for me. :lol:

Now grab a cold one and sit back and admire your great looking shiney RED SS! :thumbs::cheers:

Oh yea! I have a porter cable orbital buffer if it will make it easier on you to get my truck done! :jester:

:cheers: Here's to Red SS's and being in your 50's. We do have a lot in common. :cheers:

Too bad we don't live closer, Dale. I'd love to come over and give you moral support during "the process." :pop: I'd find me some shady spot, get a tall cool one and tell you

"a little to the left, Dale." :D:D:cool:

Edit: Can I use that Porter Cable to keep the lid down on the cooler?

:cheers: Here's to Red SS's and being in your 50's. We do have a lot in common. :cheers:

Too bad we don't live closer, Dale. I'd love to come over and give you moral support during "the process." :pop: I'd find me some shady spot, get a tall cool one and tell you

"a little to the left, Dale." :D:D:cool:

Edit: Can I use that Porter Cable to keep the lid down on the cooler?

Moral support goes along way's! :lol: It would be a pleasure to have you watch me and besides the cool one you can have the phone handy to call 911 incase I need them. :lol: The porter cable would work just fine to hold the cooler closed. After a few mintues I'd probably drop it anyway's. :D:cheers:

Archived