Another stupid question

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot, that's nothing. In this truck that'll be a fun drive, Ben.

I have to go to Las Cruces (just north of El Paso) next weekend to help my better half move back here. She's been home taking care of a very sick mother. Anyway, I am REALLY looking forward to the drive. I would NOT have been in the past truck. Gonna pull out of here about 1 am. No cops and very little traffic at that time of night. Love driving at night as you kind of "own the road" except for a few truckers. Last time I made that run it was in the old SIlverado and made it in 51/2 hrs (413 mi). Was hitting 85/90 most of the way excpet going through Tucson. Other than that it's wide open road the whole way. Put a few tunes on the XM and I'm good to go. :D

Now that's where the XM would excel over a normal radio. Assuming that there is a lot of wide open country you will be going through? I specifically chose not to get the XM. Just didn't think I needed. I am sure, just like my sat dish rcvr, there is or will be bottlegged programming available for it to forego the subscription costs, although I haven't heard.

Do you run a radar detector, going those kind of speeds?

Yeah, the Bell 980 is my best friend, Ben.........ALL the time. I have never, ever, been hit or even seen a radar cop at night, though. And this is going back 20 plus years. Do they even run radar at night? Have I just been lucky?

EDIT - I'll tell you one thing, Ben, I have NOT been as happy with the XM as I thought I'd be. I have Direct TV at home and they have a simular service. 100 or so channels of music with NO commercials. I have used it for years and love it. The good news is that the quality of XM is great, just like a CD. The bad news is that XM Radio claimed that they had commercials on just "a few select channels" but most were commercial free. Well, they may be commercial free but they have DJ's talking between songs about every four or five songs. Say WHAT? I am on a three month free trial and I emailed the programming head of XM and told them this is not what I am willing to pay $10/month for. I'd gladly pay that monthly fee for CD quality and just a "few" commercials but when you start letting DJ'd talk between songs you have gone back to what we can get on broadcast radio for free.

Shoot, that's nothing. In this truck that'll be a fun drive, Ben.

I have to go to Las Cruces (just north of El Paso) next weekend to help my better half move back here. She's been home taking care of a very sick mother. Anyway, I am REALLY looking forward to the drive. I would NOT have been in the past truck. Gonna pull out of here about 1 am. No cops and very little traffic at that time of night. Love driving at night as you kind of "own the road" except for a few truckers. Last time I made that run it was in the old SIlverado and made it in 51/2 hrs (413 mi). Was hitting 85/90 most of the way excpet going through Tucson. Other than that it's wide open road the whole way. Put a few tunes on the XM and I'm good to go. :D

wow 413mi in 5 1/2 ours!!

are you sure you werent driving 100 - 110?

I drove 255 miles at 80 - 90 occasionally 100 and it took me 3 1/2 hours.. so it definitely looks like ur making much better time then me ;)

good driving! :cool::thumbs:

Ultimate,

I know I hit a 100 off and on without even realizing it (I had the top end limit taken off with Hypertech). I'd look down at the speedo and there it was 102 (or whatever) and had no clue how long I'd been driving that fast. When I realized what speed I was doing I'd back it down to 85/90. Then later on in the trip I'd be right back up there without even realizing it. It really is easy to do as once you're East of Tucson it's like LA to Las Vegas (without the cops). I mean nothing but Prairie Dogs and Tumble Weed and, for the most part, straight roads. I can't wait to make the trip in the SS. Not because I can drive faster but because I thought my '99 Silverado handled well at hwy speeds and that truck is nowhere close to the SS.

• 2 weeks later...
Damn creaker, you're like the vault of knowledge for waxing stuff.  Have you used all of this, or do you detail cars for a living?

With all of that knowledge you believe Zaino is the best? Or, some other choice?

-Ben

Sad to say I've used all of that and more. I've probably given as much away as I've used (and some stuff was so bad it had to be tossed). And no, I don't do it for a living. Go read some of the detailing forums and you will find a wealth of information (and opinions) about auto cosmetic care.

IMHO, Zaino is right up there at the very top of the list. If you can get past having to use so little of it, it's a breeze to apply. And I cannot complain about the shine, or the lack of streaking, residue, etc., which shows up fiercly on black paint.

Now I just need to see how long it holds up!

(lots of good info, just read a lot before deciding on anything)

http://www.autopia.org

(more of a store than a forum)

http://www.topoftheline.com

(lots of good info)

http://www.detailcity.com/

(annoying popups, but some good info)

http://web-cars.com/detail/

Archived