Coolant help

I plan to flush the system when I do my e-fans and stat. Anyone know what the capacity is for coolant and how will I know how to mix it properly if I can't see it? Zippy told me to run 30% Dex-Cool, 2 bottles of Water Wetter and the rest water. My question is when will I know that I have 30% Dex in there? Also, what is the best way to purge the air from the system? TIA. BTW, I did search for this and came up empty, sorry if :repost:

i just changed the fans a t-stat all i did was use one big bottle of dex-cool coolant i forgot the size i think it was 5 quarts i filled it up with water when it was empty and added 2 bottles of wetter

If it was me, and I was doing a good complete system flush, I would take the opportunity to change over to the "Green" anti-freeze now. It will save you alot of trouble later. I haven't changed the "Dex-Cool" in my SS yet, but I will probably do so over the summer. If you're interested, you can do a Google-search and see that many folks have had some pretty catastrophic experiences with the stuff. My Tahoe's entire cooling system turned to a sandy, gelatinous goo! The heater core was entirely plugged, too! Also, the intake manifold had failed (may or may not be related, but that is what some are claiming). There are even several Class-Action lawsuits that are trying to get some relief for repair costs in connection with the "Dex-Cool" coolant related failures. This is, of course, just my opinion. And, I know that there will be some people that have used the stuff for years, put 2-million miles on their vehicle, and have never had any problems with the stuff. I'm just not going to chance it with my SS (or any future GM vehicles that I may buy).

Just my .02

T :chevy:

i got cut off last night before i got to finish answering this. damn internet went out due to a thunderstorm. easiest way to know your mixture is to just buy your coolant and premix it before you put it in. buy an empty gallon jug and just fill it 30% with dexcool and 70% to the top with water. then just pour it in.

i got cut off last night before i got to finish answering this. damn internet went out due to a thunderstorm. easiest way to know your mixture is to just buy your coolant and premix it before you put it in. buy an empty gallon jug and just fill it 30% with dexcool and 70% to the top with water. then just pour it in.

What's your opinion of switching out to green stuff like someone mentioned?

They sell it already premixed.  Just buy two of those and fill-r-up.

What brand is the pre-mixed stuff and what is your opinion on Dex vs. Green stuff? I'd even consider water only if it won't hurt.

Not sure of the brand, just know it's sold. I've used it.

Does anyone have the part no# or a good place to find a 160deg themostat for our trucks. I would like to put one in, it get's a little warm here in AZ. It would probably help keep my underhood temps down.

Archived