Westers PCM results

ctrow

I finally have some results to share with everyone other than just seat of the pants.

I talked my dad's friend into racing our SS's. He bought his red one in April and it is currently unmodified.

We found a straight stretch of highway out in the country to see if the new PCM did anything for performance. We raced until we hit 90 since that seems to be the MPH that the SS's are running the 1/4 mile.

By the time I hit 90 I had a little over a truck length on him. At first we were head to head but once I got to about 3500 RPM it started pulling away and then just kept going. We did it again and got the same results.

We traded trucks the second run and he was impressed with the changes. He said it was worth the $$$. So if you're thinking of getting one of the Wester PCM's, you now know what to expect! :thumbs:

Not yet. Racing like that doesn't really matter because it a full throttle type situation.

When Lyndon gets my core(shipping tomorrow) he's going to adjust for "highway kick downs". Right now the 1-2 shift is at 40MPH, 2-3 at 77MPH and 3-4 at 117MPH. Rev limiter is at 5700RPM.

As an added side note, it pulls strong to 125MPH. Well at least 120 because the needle was pegged!

Thats good news! Now if we can get a decent group buy discount, many of us would be pretty darn happy! Once question for ya.....are you still on stock tires doing 120mph? If so, what are the risks involved as long as the treads are healthy?

Justin :chevy:

It's my understanding, and correct me if I'm wrong, the speed rating is something that plays into effect after a few minutes at that speed. I think as long as I don't drive that fast for more than 5+ minutes I'm fine.

Granted, that sounds like I'm pulling that out of my @ss! but, prove me wrong if you know different. ;)

ct,

Thanks for the feedback on your PCM.

Justin,

See my other post with the URL. From what that other board is saying, Westers is not giving PCM discounts on 2003 model vehicles. According to them there are no current discounts on any '03 models as the chips are too hard to come by. Hopefully that will change in the future but for now we apparently are out of luck on group rates. :uhoh:

Hopefully that will change in the future

Yeah......maybe in July! :thumbs:

ctrow,

I am far from being and expert, but I would guess that as long as the tires are in very good condition, you would be safe at that speed for short little runs as well. I would be hesitant about making manuevers or anything...but for straight out runs I would think it should be fine. Someone else please shed some light on this!

Justin :chevy:

The Eagle LS tires are S speed rated, good for 112 MPH. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the tires - watching out for others on the road is a bigger concern.

Starting to show my age here a little, but I've gone MUCH faster for longer periods of time on worn out bias plys! Now put a blown 427 in a SS, then it may be time for some Z rated tires... ;)

ctrow, Is there a price for making the shift improvement?

As far as tire speeds, I had 31" Super Swampers, (80 MPH tires) at 115 on my S-10 for no longer than 3 min almost monthly. If I did not break 100 on the way to work, something was wrong. I know it is stupid, but as long as the tires are in good condition and ballanced, I will exceed the rating for short periods of time with no worries.

Just my stupidity showing

Archived