Looking for a better ride?

orion :: SS

Hey guys...

I dunno about you, but since day 1 in my SS, I thought the rear felt VERY bouncy. I thought maybe the rear shocks were blown, but with less than 20,000 miles it was very unlikely - But I decided to pull one off today and check, and they are just fine.

While I was underneath there, I noticed the bumpstop was REALLY close to the axle. I always assumed that the SS had a shorter bumpstop due the rear being 2" lower, so I checked the part # (15712438)...looks like the same part for ALL late model Silverados!

So I decided to remove it, to see how the ride was...

The first bump I hit made it clear that the rear was riding on the bumpstops WAY too much...the ride was SOOOoooo much smoother now.

...which makes sense: If you've ever lowered a car, you ALWAYS cut the bumpstops so the supension travel does not bottom out too early on the bumper. And if/when it does, it bounces uncontrolled, and makes the ride quite sh!tty...

So I went ahead and cut ~1" off the bumpstop (I'd have loved to leave it off, but it's important to have some bumpstop, for REALLY big bumps).

I must say, I'm happier with my truck now than ever...so much smoother. There's one road by my house with a lot of small bumps (think reverse speed bump, a rut all the way across the road) and before it was rediculous...you'd hit one, the rear would bounce 4-5 times, and you'd almost come off the seat. As soon as it settled, you'd hit another bump just like it! Well, I just drove that road, and it's 300 times better...takes the hit, settles...takes the next hit, settles...just smooth.

Anyway, here's a quick how-to:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Jack up the rear of the truck...you don't have to remove the wheels:

bumpstop-jack-up.jpg

Reach over the tire and remove the bumpstop...there is only 1 15mm nut holding it on:

bumpstop-installed.jpg

(FYI, this pic was after I cut the bumpstop)

Here's the bumpstop as it comes from GM:

bumpstop.jpg

I cut it off at the crease, about 1" up from the bottom. This leaves plenty of material for big bumps (keeps the axle from bottoming out):

bumpstop-cut.jpg

Then reinstall...this is VERY easy, and fast. Took me 10 minutes to remove, cut, and reinstall both sides.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, I'd highly reccomend you try this, see if it helps your ride.

If you think it's an utter failure (it may cause a little more 'sag' with a heavy load)...it's not a costly mistake...these bumpers are only $9 each from GM. Cheap.

So, I hope that helps some fellow SSS'ers...

Comments, flames, etc...all welcome.

- Brian

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

take a closer look. the bump stop is bolted to a stamped steel bracket that is removeable. not only that....but there's even a hole in the frame for the bump stop, including a key hole. just remove the bracket and bolt the bump stop to the frame. no cutting.

take a closer look. the bump stop is bolted to a stamped steel bracket that is removeable. not only that....but there's even a hole in the frame for the bump stop, including a key hole. just remove the bracket and bolt the bump stop to the frame. no cutting.

:withstupid: Thats what a lot of the dropped guys have been doing.

I have noticed that on my truck my drive shaft has a rub mark on it and up on the frame. so i think it came from when i pulled our boat. our boat is about 5200lbs. so could that make the drive shaft rub?

I wonder if this would do any good on mine?  I sit about as high as a Z71 anyway.. Am I riding the bumpstops too?  :dunno:

No you're not even close. The C3's come with a 2" block under the rear leafs. remove it using 2WD model u-bolts. Here's a pic of the lifting blocks (they also come on a Z71) and the bump stop extensions. remove it all and save about 12lbs.

normal_DSC00964.JPG

In this pic you can see the 2" blocks under the leafs (far right):

DSC01368.JPG

In this one they are gone... and you can see the bump stop mounted directly to the frame:

normal_DSC00972.JPG

^^^ Thanks for the info...maybe a better way to achieve the same thing.

Remove the SS bumpstop mount, and relocate the bumpstop directly to the frame. That's give you another ~1.5" of travel before it hit the axle, and smooth the ride in a similar maner to what I did. No cutting required.

Good stuff.

- Brian

Archived