Flashing Check Engine Light

RacerJJ

Last night as I was getting onto the freeway, my check engine light (which is always on) went from constant to flashing. It flashed the entire way home (40 miles), however, when I began to de-celerate to exit the freeway, it stopped flashing and returned to constant. Then, when I left the light, it began flashing again as soon as I began to accelerate. Any ideas???

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a similar thing happen to me the other night. I was passing a vehicle and they decided to speed up. Anyway, at about 90 my engine light began to flash. when I slowed down it went away (after about 1 minute). My engine light is not constantly on so I have no idea there. :confused:

yes I have a custom tune from Bryan, however I have several thousand miles on this tune and this has never happened before. The light stays on constantly because of a false mis-fire code.

I have heard that if you tighten down the bolts for the PCM to tightly it can throw lights. It happened to someone over on another forum I recall but i dont know if that is true or not

faulse misfire code?

Yes, false. It doesn't show a mis-fire on the graphs when hooked up to HP Tuners or the like even though the code is a random cylinder mis-fire. Anyway, it's not doing it today at all so if it was mis-firing then it must have been a fluke. It sure didn't feel or sound like it was missing on the drive home last night.

the only common way to set an ses light for a missfire code and not have a missfire is to have a truck that needs the crankshaft variation learn done. i'd recomend starting with this and driving it again.

the only common way to set an ses light for a missfire code and not have a missfire is to have a truck that needs the crankshaft variation learn done. i'd recomend starting with this and driving it again.

Thanks Zip, that's exactly what Bryan told me in an email today. Like I said, I have another pcm from him that supposedly has that done so I am going to give that a try first. Thanks a lot for the insite. :thumbs:

You have a misfire, flashing check engine light is not good.

I've got another tuned pcm...should I try swapping them and see if there is any difference?  Thanks for all of your input.

i swapped pcm's but kept the same tune and that solver my prolblem with the ses light. i dont know how you can stand having that thing on all the time.I have mine on for 10 minutes and i feel like i have to park it and drive at as least possible until i get it fixed. I guess its just one my pet peeves, but what if something actully did go wrong that would normally set this code.You wouldnt know it until you felt it running funny or you broke something.That is just my opinion, i could be wrong.

Archived