Good way to clean engine compartment?

My engine compartment has built up some noticeable grim and dirt so I'd like some suggestions on an easy way to clean it up. Without any suggestions I'm inclined to just go at it with some dishsoap and water and rinse it of with the garden hose.

Suggestions anyone?

Regards,

Dan

I usually dilute Simple Green or Super Clean, cut it way down with water, then spray that on, if it is real bad use a tire brush on the bad spots, then hose it down. When you do this, be sure to keep it off the paint of the truck(fenders, hood, etc.) because it will strip wax if it sits on there.

I spray mine with a little simple green and wash it off. Seems to do the trick.

:withstupid: Simple green is great stuff. I use it in the wheelwells every time I wash. Plus it's safe on plants/lawns, etc., which is nice.

Walmart sells a good degreaser, Greased Lightening. I use it for just about all cleaning on the truck. It's good for use around the house also... :ughdance:

STAY AWAY FROM DEGREASERS!! They will de-grease things that are supposed to be and cause issues like squealing belts over time.

My suggestion for underhood detailing:

A mixture of simple green and distilled water. Tap water is ok... but distilled makes the job easier.

Spray down the entire engine compartment WHEN ITS COOL. Don't apply to a hot block... it is possible to cause damage that way.

Let it soak for a minute and then hose everything down.

Once you've rinsed everything good close the hood and start the truck. I usually let it idle while I wash the outside... when your done pop the hood and you'll be impressed with the results. The heat mixed w/ the simple green and water steam cleans rather well. Just dry any excess moisture w/ a rag and your done. If any spots don't come clean a toothbrush or semi-soft bristle brush will do the trick... just scrub a little.

This is the technique I've used ever since I ran my mobile detailing business and I've never seen a better way to do it without major work and/or a professional undercarrige steaming system.

Good luck! :thumbs:

How do the dealers get the engines of used cars so clean? I heard the spray armor all on them before they wash them and when the water dries the aromor all stays and makes it look like it was brand new from the factory. Is this true anyone know? :thumbs:

Ben

How do the dealers get the engines of used cars so clean? I heard the spray armor all on them before they wash them and when the water dries the aromor all stays and makes it look like it was brand new from the factory. Is this true anyone know? :thumbs:

Ben

No. Armour all would make a mess of things. Dealers steam clean the engines and then apply something to shine the plastic by hand. Usually its armourall, but you can't just go spraying something like that hap-hazardly under the hood.

STAY AWAY FROM DEGREASERS!! They will de-grease things that are supposed to be and cause issues like squealing belts over time.

My suggestion for underhood detailing:

A mixture of simple green and distilled water. Tap water is ok... but distilled makes the job easier.

Spray down the entire engine compartment WHEN ITS COOL. Don't apply to a hot block... it is possible to cause damage that way.

Let it soak for a minute and then hose everything down.

Once you've rinsed everything good close the hood and start the truck. I usually let it idle while I wash the outside... when your done pop the hood and you'll be impressed with the results. The heat mixed w/ the simple green and water steam cleans rather well. Just dry any excess moisture w/ a rag and your done. If any spots don't come clean a toothbrush or semi-soft bristle brush will do the trick... just scrub a little.

This is the technique I've used ever since I ran my mobile detailing business and I've never seen a better way to do it without major work and/or a professional undercarrige steaming system.

Good luck!  :thumbs:

I've been waiting for Mr. Detailer to chime in on this one! :jester:

Question:

I always heard with this new technology in cars/trucks today, it's not recommended to spray water under the hood due to sensors and such. When you say "spray it down", do you mean like a fine mist or does it not matter. I remember in the old days all you had to do was cover the distributor with a bag or something and go to town. :dunno:

Late- Alex

I've been waiting for Mr. Detailer to chime in on this one!  :jester:

Question:

I always heard with this new technology in cars/trucks today, it's not recommended to spray water under the hood due to sensors and such. When you say "spray it down", do you mean like a fine mist or does it not matter. I remember in the old days all you had to do was cover the distributor with a bag or something and go to town.  :dunno:

Late-  Alex

Mr. Detailer :crackup: I need business cards that say that.

I've never had a problem, but I'm sure theres some potential for issues. I do recommend covering the battery terminals to avoid corrosion buildup... its kinda messy but coating the terminal ends w/ a heafty blob of vasoline works too... but then it makes a mess later. I'd assume you could put a bag or some plastic over the fuse box/PCM area.

Also, don't saturate everything... a light spray w/ enought water to loosen up the dirt is good. :thumbs:

Let me know if you have any other questions... Mr. Detailer is here to help :D

I havent done the engine area on my truck yet but when I had my stang i use to drive it around a little so the engine was hot then just spray some simple green and water solution onto it and it would clean it off in a matter of seconds.

The easiest thing I have found is when you are drying your truck after a wash, save the front for last, then lift up the hood and wipe the compartment down with your already damp towels. You can use other towels if you dry with microfiber towels.

Not to debate anything, but I had a guy that rented a room in my house a few years back that did use armour all to spray down his engine after he had wiped it down and it was fully dry. I have done it to my engine a few times. It will give a slight sheen to metal and the plastic will look good for a month or more. You can do it and still tell it was done for about 4-6 weeks. Just spray it down and let it dry - don't wipe it off. It does work and his engine looked better than brand new and his car had 70k miles on it.

The easiest thing I have found is when you are drying your truck after a wash, save the front for last, then lift up the hood and wipe the compartment down with your already damp towels.  You can use other towels if you dry with microfiber towels.

Not to debate anything, but I had a guy that rented a room in my house a few years back that did use armour all to spray down his engine after he had wiped it down and it was fully dry.  I have done it to my engine a few times.  It will give a slight sheen to metal and the plastic will look good for a month or more.  You can do it and still tell it was done for about 4-6 weeks.  Just spray it down and let it dry - don't wipe it off.  It does work and his engine looked better than brand new and his car had 70k miles on it.

I wash with any of the above cleaners. and then SPRAY EVERYTHING with Armour All. leave the hood popped and in the sun so it dries and it looks awesome for weeks. or you can shut the hood and let it sit over night. works great.

I used to use Armor All on my dash and it would attract and hold so much dirt that it was actually worse than before ... I wonder why that same prinicple doesn't apply under the hood?

I talked to a detailer from where I live and he said he knows of a lot of places that do that. He said not to wipe it off but just leave it to dry, he said he doesnt know why it works like that he thought it might have to do something with the heat from the engine. Everyone has a diffrent way of doing things on here, so if you have a way of doing something share it with us and dont knock us who do it diffrent form your way!!

Ben :driving:

Archived