bummed with 1/4 mile time :(

iwineng03ss

OK.... drop your rear tire pressure to 19psi. Make as certain as you can that the engine temp is the same each run. You may have to install an electric fan w/manual switch to make that happen. Clear everything out of the truck... tools, spare, 'n run about 1/4 tank of gas. Never 'full'. Put 'er in Drive 1 if an automatic. Bring 'er up (stall) to not more than 1100 RPM (one foot on the brake 'n one on the gas) after staging.

That said... in bracket racing (actual racing, not time trials) consistancy is everything... along with reaction time. I'll guarantee I'm older than you are (62) 'n still cut a light that'd make yer mother cry. Leave on th last yellow... as soon as it blinks. Anticipate it... hit the pedal with the light and it'll be green (usually) 'time everthing hooks 'n moves. Stage shallow... watch the stage bulbs (2nd set on the tree)... make 'em blink before they remain steady. You prob'ly don't have a line lock... so attempt a burn out... and stay outta the water before you stage. Don't be afraid to drop the hammer 'n drive it straight as possible. Don't worry about the other lane... run yer own race. You'll learn how to 'fake 'em'

or run 'em out as you get experience. If it looks close at the bottom end... stay in it. You might run out but prob'ly not. Screwed the pooch doin' that more'n once.

Leave the tailgate on... and UP. Get a tonneau also.

• 3 weeks later...

@ topic starter.

My best run was just 16,8...

but that's because of the LPI system. And I forgot to reset everything to run on Petrol.

So 15 should be possible. Unfortunately not a lot of possibilities overhere to test this. They organise once in a while a sprint meeting during the WE.

P.

• 2 months later...
went to 131 speedway tonight never been there before. i usually go to midmichigan motorplex.. anyways only things i have done to the truck this far is k and n cai series 77 and corsa exhaust. dont know how much those two may help but anyways..

first run i ran 15.54 @86 mph.. 60' wasnt to bad 2.2

second run i ran 15.49 @87 mph 60 was about the same

third run i ran 15.44 @88 Mph 60 was about the same

is this about right for a near stock truck? i was definetly hoping for better we always do i know but seems pathetic to me lol. i did drive about an hour away ran through tech and jumped right in line and ran all three back to back so i imagine that may have something to do with it.. i hope my new computer from waitforme is here before friday i am going to stanton.. what do u guys think??

What was the air temp and humidity? Those numbers

seem kind of high for a stock SS. All the magazines

I have read place the bone stock SS at 14.9 to a flat

15.0 in the 1/4.

That's what I have read. Stock Hemi RC/SB

rated at 15.1 to the SS's 14.9. I don't write

the articles. Just read and quote them. Stand

by what I said. I think the stock SS that is

well broken in shoud do much better than

a 15.5. Hell, QC Hemi 4X2 Rams can do that

all day long.

with all the test's i've seen and personal experience the SS averages around a 15.3 stock. the best magazine test was a 14.8 and the worst was a 16.1. all the stock SS trucks i've seen in person run a solid low 15 in stock form. some have gotten 14's out of them though in stock form. they run right about par with a stock 5.3L rcsb 2wd with 3.73's. since they are only around 4100lbs, many have gotten them into the 14's and the best i've seen for them so far is a 14.6 stock except he had removed the paper air filter, jack, and spare. it seems that the rcsb 2wd hemi, 5.3L, and SSS all run within a tenth of each other stock. the downside for the hemi guys is a lack of aftermarket support when compared to the GM side.

Archived