guages at night

2fastrucks

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Those pictures aren't all that bad, considering! Did you hand-hold the camera or was it braced/mounted?

And can someone tell me why GM insists on using the word "gage" instead of "gauge" (I know dictionaries refer to gage as an alternate spelling of gauge)? I always thought that gage was in common use for sheet metal thickness, not measuring devices.

Na, just held it and snapped away. Used a Canon elph 2.1 megapixel. Obviously with no flash. :P

"Gage" is used for things like sheet metal thickness, wire, tubing, shotgun bores, needles, gage blocks, etc.

"Gauge" is used for fluid pressure or level gauges such as oil pressure, fuel level, etc.

The difference is a result of the Americanization of the English language. History has corrupted the original intent, spelling and useage. Just like the internet is doing to us today - seems people are too lazy to type anything anymore and have come up with all kinds of creative internet short hand. :puke:

Masking Tape over the blue light might work :jester:

Just enough black electrical tape is best. Black won't stand out and the light will not shine through it. My last truck had an ABS and parking brake light that NEVER went out (Ford of course). Used elect. tape and never bothered me again.

Well, I took the dash apart and put a smoke colored piece of plastic between the high beam led and the lense. :rolleyes: Can't see the mod when all is back together. ;) The light is still bright enough to be seen in the day, but it does not blind me at night anymore.

Again, Why can't they put that light on the dimmer? it just makes sense.

Chad

Chad,

How difficult is it to take the dash apart? I did what Hunter did and put black tape over mine but I like your solution better than mine if it's not an all day job.

Chad,

How difficult is it to take the dash apart? I did what Hunter did and put black tape over mine but I like your solution better than mine if it's not an all day job.

Really easy Lee. Just pull down on the ring that is at the top/front of the dash and pull. Comes off easier over on the right for some reason.

The plastic cover comes off the dash with just a pull. Be carfull, there are some rubber knobs about 3/16th round that go on the end of some posts on the back side of the plastic cover. They are there to stop the plastic dash cover from rubbing what is behind it. Easily lost.

As far as taking the IC apart,

there are 4 metric mounting bolts that you have to take out. I used a long extension on a rachet to pull the bolts (sorry, don't remember the size of the bolts, but they are around 8mm). The IC then comes right out! you will have to put the shift lever in 1st gear and put the steering wheel all the way down to get the IC out. Once you have the IC where you can see it, there is a wire bundle on the back. Unhook it. Now you will have the IC in your hands and can get somewhere to work on it.

The clear plastic lense comes off with 6 clips. Then, just lift the face of the IC where the high beam light indicator is. You will see there is an LED in there. I took a piece of smoked plastic, from an old RC chopper canopy, and superglued it to the white plastic, covering the hole above the LED. Then put the face back over the top. I did not remove any gage (guage? I am so confused) indicators. just lifted the thin plastic face. With the face over the smoked plastic, there is no sign I was even in there!

Put back together in reverse order

It all took less than 1 hour!

Please let me know if you have any other questions

Sorry, I do not have a camara or webspace to put up pictures. Hatrack (Ken) put my sig up for me. I "borrowed" the camara from work. They don't like us using it for non buisness stuff. Sorry

:cheers:

Chad

Archived