schklege's SS (finally)

schklege

Are there 3 trucks on this board with those wheels?

Not to my knowledge, 2dr.

Sheldon,

Can,t wait to hear what you think of your Garmin GPS. I assume you got the Street Pilot III. I was looking at that one too as an Alpine built in is just too expensive. Garmin is coming out with a new Street Pilot this Fall and I was waiting for that. Do you like yours?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it is the Street Pilot III and I love it. It is amazingly accurate and extremely helpful in getting where I'm going. I don't really use the "find the route to where you're going" function because I find it so tedious to enter the address without a keyboard. I just like the way it shows what street connects to another, etc. In fact, I have arrogantly taken off to a jobsite in a different vehicle without the GPS and been humbly reminded how much I rely on it to get where I'm going.

Do you know any details of the new model coming out? I'm very happy with mine other than the fact that it sits unprofessionally on the dash (I caught it in midair the first time I launched the truck with the scharger--now I put it down if I'm going to play ;) ). I really want one installed in the dash or overhead console.

Sheldon,

You asked about the details of the new model. Here

I wanted a built in one, too. Just could not justify the approx. $2,400 cost of the DVD Alpine I was looking at. I trade vehicles too often (every two years - three at the outside). If I put too much into one I really take a bath on resale. Also, to install the Alpine or Pioneer they'd be taking out the XM radio to put in the GPS etc. etc.

I just finally resigned myself that Garmin was the smart way to go. FUnny you mentioned that you were looking for a place to build it in somehow. I don;'t have mine yet but every time I get in the truck I look again for that "perfect" place to somehow get in semi permanent and look like it came with the truck,

Lee - is the Alpine system such a mod that you wouldn't be able to remove if you sold the truck, and not be able to tell? I've never seen one, so don't know too much about and how much alteration is being done to what's there.

The good things about upgrades, most anyway - even s-chgrs, is you can remove and restore when you sell. If you're lucky, the next vehicle you buy will accept that same mod. I think there were only two things that I had done to may last vehicle, that couldn't be done to this one. Unfortunately, I only removed four of them before I traded in. Two I reused, my Volant intake and GMS MAF, one I resold on e-bay for $50 more than what I paid, the last, a 200-amp alternator, I haven't needed yet, but plan to use in the future.

Even the wheels you have purchased can stay with you from truck to truck as long as the bolt patterns stay the same. The only thing it requires from you, on all accounts, is to keep the original stuff around.

Just worth some thought.

Ben,

The Alpine unit (and I think the Pioneer, also) have the main unit that can be placed anywhere. It's the part of the system that holds and plays the map DVD. You can put that in the trunk or under a seat as you never have to access it once it's set up the first time. The screen is motorized so it folds back on itself and retracts back into the dash. Very cool. Unfortunately, that is the part that obviously requires modification to the dash itself. Usually the radio goes (as I think both systems have a radio built into the system - I think!!!)

Anyway, once you start custom installing into the dash itself you are better off leaving it on resale (IMO). Also, the Garmin, although not built in, has the distinct advantage of not only coming out when you sell the truck, but also you can move it from vehicle to vehicle if you are a multi car family and taking the wifes car for some reason. That is a huge advantage.

As to removing stuff before selling. I agree. I even did that with this truck. I took the nerf bars off the '99 and put them on the '03. The wheels were too small to do that this time (only 18 inch) and the rubber only had about 10,000 miles of tread left anyway. I guess you could go through the expense of removing an s-chgr but I wouldn't want to do it. And, even more of a concern, if you heavily mod the current vehicle with the thought of removing much of the stuff on resale you better be REAL sure you are buying the same type of vehicle next time SS to SS for example. I can NEVER be sure of that - ever. I just don't know what is coming out in two or three years that I " just can NOT live without." And, worse yet, I am not brand loyal. I buy whatever suits my "needs" at the moment - no matter who makes it. I have owned everything for 911 Porsche's to SS pickup's and have loved them all when I owned them. What will I be driving in two or three years.....................?????????????????????????? Who knows, maybe another SS. :thumbs:

you can move it from vehicle to vehicle if you are a multi car family and taking the wifes car for some reason. That is a huge advantage.

True. I do this with both the GPS and the Valentine. Time for vacation, they both go into the minivan (you know, there was a time in my life, not too terribly long ago, that I would have sworn I would never utter a phrase containing the words "vacation" and "minivan" at the same time--oh well).

:cool: Hey Schlege, I love what you have done with your truck! The new 22 inch rims with the bigger brakes really make the truck. The blue and yellow are such a nice colour combo. I also really like your cover. I have been looking at different types but what i like about yours is that is sites flush wiht the rails of the truck. One question is the cover easy to remove if you need to carry large stuff?

GoodFella its great to hear from another Canadian! I am from K-W about an hour from Toronto.

Bob

Hey Bob, I made some phone calls and I found out that theres a dealer in Scarborough, Ontario who drives down to Kentucky once a month to pick up a truckload of Checkmate FX's. So if your really interested in getting that particular tonneau, you wont have to order from the States. :thumbs:

Well, I'm back from a little deserved long weekend trip to the inlaws (county fair in Indiana to watch the swine show--what in the world has happened to me?):

2dr Tahoe: I'm not sure what software I used to shrink those pictures. When I plugged my camera in to the USB connection on my computer, it just sort of defaulted to something that gave me a preview of the pictures. Then I hit a button that said something like, "Send image to ??? for editing." From there I was able to shrink them. I'll check tonight what it was.

555ci4: As far as I know, Lingenfelter didn't do any special tricks with my install (other than successfully and mysteriously remove about 8k from my bank account). But I have had absolutely no problems so far, and the truck just launches off the line. Very smooth.

Bob_the_Builder: Yes, the tonneau is easy to remove, but you'd better have two people (or the wingspan of that Chinese basketball player) or you can just forget it. Get the quick-release hinges and all you have to do is release the two struts, "over-lift" it, and slide it toward the rear to remove it. One note of caution: the pics look better than the real thing, in my opinion. I still see too much fiberglass and I despise the fact that the cover is slightly concave (it serves as a perfect birdbath when it sits in the rain). I like what I'm seeing in the Gemtop GT Classic better than the Checkmate. The Gemtop has a sheet of metal up top that seems to finish better (just my $.02).

Archived